This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Revert firmware to a previous version [unstable firmware, bricked Homey or other reasons]

@Athom @Emile ;The new firmware has broke most of my things, unusable. I need to revert back to the previous stable version. How can I do that?
The page what has explained the process has been deleted:  https://forum.athom.com/discussion/696/help-my-homey-is-not-responding-after-an-update#latest

This suggests that the method has been changed. Could you please share it with us how could we install the firmware manually?
I believe in this stage of the development it is essential.

Comments

• Although I accept this is a risk of being in the experimental channel this is something I would like to know as well.

I'll do since trouble shooting and issue reporting but after that it would be nice to have a functional Homey again.
  • mruitermruiter Member
    edited May 2016
    Pfff, deal with it and wait for the next firmware release next week.

Did hou already do a restore to default but homey on its back?

And enjoy youre living kn the edge , let us not forget YOU clicked the mark and made the choice for the experimental firmware.

And lets make this a usefull long weekend and report all the unnamed issues as bugs on github.
  • BumblezBumblez Member
    edited May 2016
    If you really, really need to revert, you'll have to contact Athom at the  Support email address. Emile said about this procedure:
    Please do not use this procedure without us telling you to.
    Or you could just report the issues that you find on Github, then set your Homey aside for a week or so, and wait for the fixes...
  • ZperXZperX Member
    edited May 2016
    Do you think that your comments are helpful and based on facts?

• It was addressed to Athom. I could send email and keep the info to myself or raise it here so others can benefit from the answer too.
    • If an experimental windows, android, firmware for TV, media player is installed there is always an option to revert it. Understanding the risks but it is never a one way street.
    • Reverting a firmware has nothing to do with reporting issues. (I have already reported the issue)
    • There is no warranty that the next firmware or the one after would fix the issue
    • The time between the updates are keep increasing, now it is around two weeks not one.
    • Please allow me to use my device as wish to. (I am done with the bug hunting and wish to use it again as a HA controller)
    Have a lovely weekend.
  • BumblezBumblez Member
    edited May 2016
    I understand that you're frustrated. That happens with a beta product, which Homey still is. Athom are trying very hard, and making improvements all the time, but you're right... specific issues may still take a while before they get fixed.

See the thread that I linked to in my previous reply. At some point I did post the procedure there, to help other people... just like you say. But Emile specifically requested people NOT to use the procedure unless they tell you to. Which means that each person will have to contact Athom themselves, if they want this procedure. Athom will not post that procedure here.

At some point in the future, Athom will hopefully have an automated method of reverting to a previous firmware version, but until that is the case, my reply remains: contact Athom at their support address for the procedure to reset the firmware.
  • Yes, there will be an app for that ;) (To manually install firmware) see emile's response in this thread: https://forum.athom.com/discussion/1159/why-wont-an-experimental-build-be-rolled-back-to-stable-when-i-reset-my-homey#latest
  • ZperXZperX Member
    edited May 2016
    I follow the forum quite long now, so yes I know all that and the app too. The app will be released in the future, it is not a priority. Thanks for your reply but still waiting for athoms answer. It does not seems reasonable that is benefitial for them to handle all issues manually and to decrease the number of experimental users in this bug hunting/development stage. More and more technicaly minded users will think ok this firmware works relatively well, I like experiments but get only slaps in returns for reported bugs, let's just forget this whole thing. 
    Well its not the best way go to move foreward.
  • ZperXZperX Member
    Bumblez said:
    MarcoF said:

Support@Athom.com
    That won't help. In my experience, they hardly ever reply to emails... 
  • BumblezBumblez Member
    edited May 2016
    ZperX said:
    Bumblez said:
    That won't help. In my experience, they hardly ever reply to emails... 
    Correct, that's my experience. But several people with similar problems, who wanted to reset their Homey, have stated on this forum that they got a reply fairly fast... my experience with support emails is restricted to the kind of emails that DO require a more in-depth reply and investigation before they can answer...
  • RobebarRobebar Member
    edited May 2016
    ZperX said:
    I follow the forum quite long now, so yes I know all that and the app too. The app will be released in the future, it is not a priority. Thanks for your reply but still waiting for athoms answer. It does not seems reasonable that is benefitial for them to handle all issues manually and to decrease the number of experimental users in this bug hunting/development stage. More and more technicaly minded users will think ok this firmware works relatively well, I like experiments but get only slaps in returns for reported bugs, let's just forget this whole thing. 
    Well its not the best way go to move foreward.
    Really ... 
    I guess you should work on your patiance a little more
  • bvdbosbvdbos Member
    @Robebar reading can be done anonymously  :p
  • RobebarRobebar Member
    I know, 
    but participating in positive solutions and bug fixing not

• ZperXZperX Member
    I am following this forum since July 2014. And I am not impatient but have a HA system and family who allows me to play around but they prefer to have a working system. You are bit quick to judge people you don't know. I have started this topic in the best intrest of everyone. Never mind.
  • honeyhoney Member
    Nice one Robebar. If you can't add anything constructive than dont troll. I would not be proud on such "participation". You haven't done bug fixing either.