This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

IR range limitations of Homey: take a Wireless Infrared Extender

Good morning! 
I have some great experience to share with you. 

If you are interested in using Homey to control a lot of IR devices - this is the best solution for me so far:
EBODE PM10C Wireless Infrared Extender: http://www.ebodeelectronics.eu/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=304]&Itemid=3&lang=en 

I tested this IR extender today and I'm pretty excited.
The main advantage: the IR signals from Homey are being converted to 433MHz signals, transmitted for over 30 meters trough the floors and walls and converted back to IR at the receiver point! And it works very very well. 

My transmitter ("pyramid", half size of Homey) stands just next to Homey and is extending the IR signal across the house to the receiver "pyramids" in different rooms. I have approx. 3 walls and 18 meters between my Homey (living room) and the device I'd like to control in the bedroom (air purifier). And it works! Homey can now control all IR devices in my bedroom! Great! 

This way you can place 1 IR transmitter next to Homey and many IR receivers in different rooms and enjoy the full Homey control over all of your IR devices at home. 

Comments

• MG11MG11 Member
    And in my opinion this is a better solution than KLIKR - since you don't need a separate receiver for every device you'd like to control. 
  • Are they also able to run on batteries?
  • MG11MG11 Member
    nope. unfortunately not. 
  • MG11MG11 Member
    So the great idea would be: to let Homey convert IR signals to 433 MHz and send them out. 
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    Why should i use a IR Extender with Homey?
  • BumblezBumblez Member
    Not as cheap, but imho by far the best solution to all IR issues... is a Logitech Harmony hub in combination with the Homey app for it. Works great for all IR devices, and doesn't require the use of Homey's IR signals at all.
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    Homey is blasted with 6 amazing powerful IR blaster Leds, so that are 6 big reason to rely, use and work with/on homey's IR capabilities. 

I bought homey to get rid of all the hubs. 
  • BumblezBumblez Member
    edited May 2016
    Well, if this does turn out to be a hardware issue (and it certainly looks like one), and Athom manages to fix it, then you may have to send back your Homey for a replacement...
    Besides, isn't the Homey itself a hub as well?  Right now, the Harmony hub is the one home automation device I am most satisfied with...
  • MennoMenno Member
    +100 for Logitech Harmony remote + hub. Hope Homey come close at a later point
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    @Bumblez ;
    Homey is a controller.
    HUE bridge is also a controller for the lights, but its also a bridge/hub between Homey and the lights.
    About 2 years ago I thought of buying a RFXCom or homewizard so I could control and receive (weather station info from neighbours  >:) ) more 433 stuff. But didn't do that because i didn't wanted another hub. 

+10 to Harmony, but Homey should do, based on kickstart info/video's/etc , the same.
  • I totaly agree with @marcof here, homey is supposed to be the hub that replaces all others, so there should not be the need for IR range extenders/hub (unless we're trying to control equipment in other rooms)

What bothers me most is the lack of information we get from Athom on this subject, but then again that's something we're used to I guess.

• BumblezBumblez Member
    I agree with the "supposed to be" (and am also very disappointed with the lack of feedback from Athom on this subject). But as things are going, I don't see Homey improving anytime soon, so if you're looking for something that works on short term (and this topic is about discussing the options for range extenders), then I definitely recommend the Harmony hub. Should Homey itself ever be up to the task, then that hub will still not be completely useless...
  • Qx5Qx5 Member
    MarcoF said:
    Why should i use a IR Extender with Homey?
    As @MG11 stated his solution is to control devices in multiple rooms :smile: . I get your point but it's not really relevant for this topic.
  • MG11MG11 Member
    Exactly that's the point: I have lot of IR devices across the house and I want to control them with just Homey! That for you need IR extenders which converts signals to 433 and significantly increases the distance - this is the simplest solution. And Homey remains your only hub. 
  • I believe Homey does the trick as a hub, but you didn't reasonably expect Homey's IR to go through walls right? @MG11 just offers a solution for people who want to control their upstairs TV with their Homey downstairs.

Why is this thread exploding with raging people? @MG11 never said to use this to reach your TV on the standard 3 meters away...
  • DenWDenW Member

I completely agree that there is a need for better IR support, and the silence from Athom is puzzling,

Sure, IR is an old technology, but since IR is still the most used technology for controlling TV's, airco's, fireplaces and a whole range of other (older) appliances I think it is not unfair to request, or at least inquire about, some kind of support for IR signals to be sent (and preferably also received) by Homey to\from equipment in other rooms and\or cabinets where Homeys IR signal can not be received.

A quick search I did some time ago reveals several options to send IR signals with an independent device using LAN\WIFI or BT:

The benefit of having an IR Extender that is able to Receive as well as Transmit is obviously that IR-signals that are sent from your IR TV remote in your bedroom are also sent to the device controlling the IR Extender (i.e. Homey). So, using the IR remote in your bedroom you could trigger a flow in Homey (using a button you don't normally use).

Personally, I'd dismiss Klikr because of the Bluetooth protocol used and because it is a SEND-only device. A LAN\WIFI option is much more versatile and stable. I'm currently using 2 IRTrans modules which work perfectly (powerfull IR signal, reliable and stable but pricey), but IRDroid is a much cheaper alternative with open source software to boot. I've also looked into briefly into making a Homey App for IRTrans but one obstacle is that support from the manufacturer is not exactly what you'd call enthousiastic..

Question for @Athom ;: will Homey support any of the devices mentioned by me or others  to allow extended IR control of\by Homey? If so, what is the timeframe we are looking at?

Thanks for your time and answer, keep up the great work!
    DenW

• BumblezBumblez Member
    edited May 2016
    DenW said:

... the silence from Athom is puzzling,

Did you miss the software update post from Emile? It explains that IR improvements are not their main focus right now, but that they are scheduled for the "upcoming weeks". See also this and this post from superice for some additional info on those priorities...
  • MennoMenno Member
    I bought the EBODE PM10C Wireless Infrared Extender.
    And I must say for me it is working perfectly

Route = homey (livingroom) --> logitech (cabinet) --> logitech blaster (cabinet) --> ebode sender (cabinet) --> ebode receiver (livingroom) --> curtain (livingroom)
  • DenWDenW Member
    edited May 2016
    Bumblez said:
    DenW said:

Did you miss the software update post from Emile? It explains that IR improvements are not their main focus right now, but that they are scheduled for the "upcoming weeks". See also this and this post from superice for some additional info on those priorities...
    Those posts and infos only deal with getting Homey's built-in IR  to work, or getting it to work better then it does now.

What I (and others) are suggesting is that Homey should support 1 or more IR devices that allow you to control IR devices in cabinets or other rooms. And preferably also lets you trigger Homey Flows with IR from other rooms.
    That is an issue Athom has been silent about from the beginning, hence my remark. 

And I'm not saying Athom should not be putting priorities on other things right now. I am saying Athom should have a clear vision of how to support the most used consumer control technology in its Home Automation Controller. And they should communicate it so prospective users know what or what not to expect.

DenW
  • DenW said:
    Bumblez said:
    DenW said:

Those posts and infos only deal with getting Homey's built-in IR  to work, or getting it to work better then it does now.

What I (and others) are suggesting is that Homey should support 1 or more IR devices that allow you to control IR devices in cabinets or other rooms. And preferably also lets you trigger Homey Flows with IR from other rooms.
    That is an issue Athom has been silent about from the beginning, hence my remark. 

And I'm not saying Athom should not be putting priorities on other things right now. I am saying Athom should have a clear vision of how to support the most used consumer control technology in its Home Automation Controller. And they should communicate it so prospective users know what or what not to expect.

DenW
    I suggest this is more likely a project for community-developed app, not something that Athom has to do specifically.
  • good morning
    I like to report that, after i updated to 1.5.4. ,  my IR sending for Homey seems to be improved.
    First the signal did not reaged the the tv, now it mostly does.    distance about  6 meters.
     :) 
  • I'm running  version 1.5.6-rc.8, no improvements on the IR sending. I'm lucky, I have a Sony TV and the build-in infra-red module (Sony TV all models) works, but my KPN ITV box is still not working (IR learning mode). Distance: 5 meters does not work, 1 meter is.

The KPN remote combines two functions, steering the KPN ITV box and also your TV .
    The KPN remote supports a wide range of TVs (e.g.  for my Sony: #307)!

Perhaps Athom/Homey can copy/duplicate/etc the IR functionality of the KPN remote, into the Homey?!

I have a spare one.

• marcellusmarcellus Member
    edited June 2018
    My Homey can do nothing with IR, I have learned Homey  several IR commands from original remotes, but nothing. Homey is about 3 meters away from my receiver, but the receiver does not respond when I test the just learned command. So far for the POWERFUL IR LEDS. NOT. My airco is about the same distance, but same here. In my opinion the IR of Homey is just useless. If the Harmony hub works, it is a good repalcement of a function that Homey already SHOULD cover. As well as bluetooth. As well as voice commands, "Het spijt me, maar ik begrijp niet, wat je bedoeld". Bummer. 300 euro. Grrr.

;DenW, Thanks for sharing this info, very helpfull.
  • My IR stiil works for my TV
    I have installed the samsung app for this.
    However, copie of a other ir signal does not work for me.
    ( vacuumcleaner ir )

• Would it be technically possible to reroute the IR signals to the Audio port on the bottom of Homey? I don`t use that connection for speakers and could run a cheap IR wire from there to my devices.