This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Update

Homey werkt niet meer na update.
Opstarten geel na 1 a 2 minuten rood
Hoe kan ik deze resetten

Comments

• Fire69Fire69 Member
    Stekker eruit, minuutje wachten, stekker erin. 
    Laat hem 20 seconden oranje draaien, hou hem dan ondersteboven. 
    Dan gewoon de gesproken instructies volgen. 
  • Homey not working after update
    At startup orange yellow/orange after 1or 2 minutes red
    How can I update again or start new?
  • posthokposthok Member
    Plug it out, wait a minute, plug it in.
    Let it run for 20 seconds orange, then hold him upside down.
    Then just follow the voice instructions.
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    leenmol1 said:
    Homey not working after update
    At startup orange yellow/orange after 1or 2 minutes red
    How can I update again or start new?
    Support@Athom.com
  • BumblezBumblez Member
    MarcoF said:

Support@Athom.com
    That won't help. In my experience, they hardly ever reply to emails... and when they do, they either ask questions, or give you advice that was already posted here on the forums. Haven't had a useful reply from them yet...
    So it's better (and a lot faster!) to follow the advice given by fellow users here on the forum.
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    @Bumblez ;
    Athom is THE location/place to be for support and especially if a user experiences the RROD and/or a Homey which refuses to go into recovery mode.

We can help him, ask/say to hem to hold his Homey upside down, but if thats not working..... Then Athom needs to help him. 

RROD still is warranty, warranty == Athom.
  • BumblezBumblez Member
    @MarcoF ; Ofcourse he still has warranty. And if his Homey is really dead, then putting it in a box and sending it back is probably a better option than emailing support. As I said, currently attempting to get anything done by sending a request to their support mail address, is pretty much useless.

If his Homey is not dead (and I don't think it is, he just needs to be able to reset it), then the community can very well help him with that... and a lot faster. Following the advice given by Fire69 (and nicely translated by posthok) would be a good first step.
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited May 2016
    You are totally true, but your bad experience with support@athom.com should not mean that we need to help all user because Athom's support is a bit disappointing.

The best, and in ideal, only point for official support = support@athom.com

You are also right about the recovery, but if a user for some reason can't get is done, he should contact Athom.

Last weekend my Wife was inspecting Homey's IR Leds, holding Homey in 180° and 3 times Homey said;
    Starting recovery bla bla countdown 1,2,3,4 

So our Homey is very sensible, but I also had that my Homey was refusing to go into Recovery. 
    It then helped to lay Homey on his head and wait 20 min. and suddenly the orange boot ring begon circling.

Its a(!) "task" of the community to help each other, its not the(!) "task" of the community to give first line support.
  • BumblezBumblez Member
    It may not be our "task", but as it is, it appears that we're currently a better source of support than Athom. Until that changes, and Athom has their support in working order, I will only recommend people to contact Athom support if there really is no other option left for them...

• posthokposthok Member
    edited May 2016
    @leenmol1 :
    Doet Homey het nou?
    Is it working now?
  • bvdbosbvdbos Member
    Bumblez said:
    It may not be our "task", but as it is, it appears that we're currently a better source of support than Athom. Until that changes, and Athom has their support in working order, I will only recommend people to contact Athom support if there really is no other option left for them...

To some extend, that's what forum's are (used) for...
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited May 2016
    Its Athom's task and its not a or the solution if the community is going to do it.

As long as we solve there problem, there hardly wont be an incentive for Athom to change.

Same for the "update strategy", firmware release strategy, the update mechanism, roadmap plans, IR problem(s), etc etc.

JustMy2Cents.
  • BumblezBumblez Member
    I definitely don't see helping other people on this forum, in the same line as issues like IR problems etc.
    Sure, in the long run, Athom will definitely have to change on this front too, and become better at this themselves.

But right now I'd very much prefer that Athom spends their time improving the Homey hardware (those IR problems definitely sound like a hardware issue) and software, instead of hanging around on the forum answering questions from users. They can only spend their time once, and I don't think they have the money to recruit a couple of forum moderators (nor the time to train them to answer all the user questions).

And once they do start addressing customer support, their first priority should be replying to emails sent to their support address, and after that comes replies on this forum (simply because on forums, the first line of support will usually come from the community).
  • RoelofRosRoelofRos Member
    edited May 2016
    i have requested support from Athom yesterday and within a few hours got a response.

got also a bricked Homey after a failed update, and sure liked the response from the other Homey's on the forum.
    just too bad that none of the suggestions worked for me,  so i got a procedure from Athom to directly download and install a firmware/bootloader  just how you call it.

tried it from linux (rapsberry pi) but it failed:
    failed (status 0xf0f0f0f0)
    !!!!mismatch

so i guess i am lucky and have to send it really back.

but i hope they will optimize their update procedure, failed update with as result a bricked Homey that can not be something that you want.

my experience till now from their support is only positive.
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    @Bumblez ;
    Thanx! 
    we are 4 months after the first badge was shipped

Lets wait and see.... 

:wink: 
  • BumblezBumblez Member
    @RoelofRos ;  that's good to hear. So either they prioritize issues upon arrival, or they pick the ones for which they have already an answer ready and reply to those, and leave those where they don't know the answer straight away... we'll see what happens to the rest of that stack...
  • Tried after 20 seconds turned and stays orange.

need a reset procedure
  • BumblezBumblez Member
    edited May 2016
    leenmol1 said:

need a reset procedure
      This is the procedure originally posted by Athom on this forum, several weeks ago:

[Edit] procedure removed - see Emile's request here , contact Athom for the procedure...
  • @Bumblez ; thanks will try it
  • Accidentally posted to much info on this forum and my mail with the request to delete my post (since your unable to delete attachments) was taken care of within the hour!
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    @all
    I think there's some confusion over the interpretation of the words "help" and "support".
    Helping each other is no problem, a big plus and could be considered being a "task" of communities and a great thing to do.

Sharing a "old" (not being a official stated Athom guide) copy/pasted from this forum and telling people to follow it, is in my eyes a bit risky.
    It won't help anybody if for example Athom needs to swap device because the community share wrong info/procedures which cause devices to brick permanently. 
    If Athom has a official document/page where the procedure is described, linking to that would great and safe :smile: 

If someone says he updated his homey, now has a RROD, isn't able to get his Homey in recovery, then he needs serious support. 
    RROD means that the devices is "crashed" pretty "hard" and to get it up and running the user should be a bit technical.
    A non techie could(?) damage(?) the device more?
  • Fire69Fire69 Member
    edited May 2016
    MarcoF said:

If Athom has a official document/page where the procedure is described, linking to that would great and safe smile 

https://www.athom.com/nl/ondersteuning/KB000026/   :#

[edit]
    Ah, never mind, thought that was for the reset during boot.
    I'll search a little further.  :p
  • BumblezBumblez Member
    @MarcoF ;  The text I quoted is the guide that was officially posted by Athom on this forum... unfortunately the entire thread in which they posted it, has been deleted. But as far as I know, it's still the exact same procedure that Athom support mails to people who contact them with this problem.

• MarcoFMarcoF Member
    @Bumblez ;
    Maybe Athom deleted it with a purpose?
    And still the same doesn't mean it will be the same over a week or month. 

• BumblezBumblez Member
    edited May 2016
    Hopefully, a month from now, they have a better solution and this won't be necessary anymore.
    But if it is... I'm fairly certain that, if it works on Homey now, it will work on that very same Homey next month as well.
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    I also hope that! 
  • when you search on 'recovery'  i believe you can find something like this too.

but my personal opinion is to be careful when using something like this posted in a forum post.
    please get it through the support from Athom self.

why???
    imagine that Athom changes the name of their recovery file,  or they put an extra step in their procedure.
    you will use an old procedure with maybe flaws in it, will be disappointed because it will not work or could get some strange result.

so ask the direct line of Athom support to get the latest procedure, or when they posted it on their website or in the forum as a sticky item.
  • BumblezBumblez Member
    The people from Athom read these forums too. If this procedure is no longer accurate, then I would certainly expect them to come out and tell us so...
  • imho they have a reason to remove that post that was to un-brick a "generic" problem after a early new firmware (when only a few backers / geeks had a Homey).

Yes It could be the solution for one forum user when the forum helps him, and maybe it is the same procedure Athom Support mails one or two days later...

but pls email every RROD RedRingOfDeath to Support@athom.com with as much info you have when it happend, what you have done and what you didn't do. And/or make an issue at GitHub I think (hope) they will respond as fast as they can. (and hire more support people before delivering more Homeys)

Athom should learn from it and know how often this happens... They will respond with the best solution in that case.

And if you unbrick it with help from somewhere from the internet (including this Forum) you are the  HERO, it is your responsibility you fixed it! Congrats!

But if you potter ? Tinker? (translate prutsen ;-) ) several hours and maybe brick it forever doing something wrong for your specific problem...  it is still your responsibility you F*....
    (and I think you still have some warranty than but you have a bad story to tell...)
  • Fire69Fire69 Member
    RoelofRos said:
    when you search on 'recovery'  i believe you can find something like this too.

but my personal opinion is to be careful when using something like this posted in a forum post.
    please get it through the support from Athom self.

why???
    imagine that Athom changes the name of their recovery file,  or they put an extra step in their procedure.
    you will use an old procedure with maybe flaws in it, will be disappointed because it will not work or could get some strange result.

so ask the direct line of Athom support to get the latest procedure, or when they posted it on their website or in the forum as a sticky item.
    The procedure I posted is just to do a reset of your Homey, just like when you do a factory reset of your phone, it just wipes the /data partition.
    No need for a recovery file from Athom's servers.

This is the procedure I got from Emile when I had the 'RRoD' when my settings got corrupted...