This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

App template for AV equipment

I do not expect an App for all my AV-devices. But to build an App turns out more difficult than I expected. I expected most AV-equipment could be controlled remotely by IP quite similar, just different HTTP-POST commands. But when tried the App (LG-WebOS) it turned out much more complex, it had some LG-WebOS specific parts. Wouldn't it be a good idea to built a generic AV-device App that can be customised by changing het HTTP-POST commands. Probably the registration proces would be most device specific. In such a case it would be easy for simple programmers to add devices.

Comments

• PandaPanda Member
    Just get a logitech harmony hub to do it the easy way.
  • Happy said:
    I do not expect an App for all my AV-devices. But to build an App turns out more difficult than I expected. I expected most AV-equipment could be controlled remotely by IP quite similar, just different HTTP-POST commands. But when tried the App (LG-WebOS) it turned out much more complex, it had some LG-WebOS specific parts. Wouldn't it be a good idea to built a generic AV-device App that can be customised by changing het HTTP-POST commands. Probably the registration proces would be most device specific. In such a case it would be easy for simple programmers to add devices.
    I don't know the specifics of your AV-devices, but the Yamaha app that I build this weekend (still needs approval) simply sends a xml code as HTTP-POST to an IP. If that is what you seek, I guess you could use it as a template and just change the relevant xml parts?
  • I'm interested in this. I have a receiver (Pioneer VSX-921) which you can connect to by using TELNET(example).
    In the past I have used Pimatic, which has an plugin for Pioneer receivers(you can find it here) that I managed to get working on RPI.  Is it possible to use this plugin directly, not at all or does it need to be converted somehow to get it working with Homey?

I would like to try and make an app or adapt the before mentioned plugin from Pimatic (with the creators approval of course). But I do not have a lot of experience with programming.

An "app template" would be a great place to start.

I hope you guys can help me with this. When I get my homey (hopefully before the summer vacation) I will make a new topic for this. But in the mean time I'd like to have you guys' input on this.  

Github: https://github.com/saxn-paule/pimatic-pio-remote

• HappyHappy Member
    I don't know the specifics of your AV-devices, but the Yamaha app that I build this weekend (still needs approval) simply sends a xml code as HTTP-POST to an IP. If that is what you seek, I guess you could use it as a template and just change the relevant xml parts?
    Hoi Koen, I've looked at your Yamaha app. And it looks promising. I have the xml parts available for mij Sony STR-DN850 available (works using Tasker on Android). If it works modifing your code, the registration might be the only tricky part (no clear return message registration was succesful). Then the only problem to solve is the lack of support for discreet (HTTP-POST) commands for input selection. So I have to get a status (with input) and then calculate the number of Next-Input commands I require for a specific Input. But I guess I'll manage.
  • mvtk1990mvtk1990 Member
    edited April 2016
This discussion has been closed.