This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

Sonos connect

Hi ,

I would like to know if the honey can control the sonos speakers directly or that I still need a connect in between.

Comments

• As far as I know you need a Sonos Connect to have wifi/LAN connection. Without Connect you will also not be able to control your Sonos system with your smart phone.

That's also what Homey will be using to connect to your Sonos System.

• EmileEmile Administrator, Athom

You don't need a connect if you've paired them to your Wi-Fi network.

• So bottom line is: Homey connects through LAN/Wifi. If you have this connection than your good to go?

Yep!

• Thanks for the quick response. This is the best answer ever !

• jovinkjovink Member

No the best answer is that homey has been send

• euh yeah ofcourse.. my mistake

• So if I were to buy a Sonos play:1 (or play:3) without anything else, would that do the job? Meaning: will the Sonos be Homey's output speaker to play it ALL, once it's connected?
    And if so, can I then also play the music coming from my Sony TV via wifi on this Sonos?

• JerryvdvJerryvdv Member
    edited August 2015

RonnO said:
    So if I were to buy a Sonos play:1 (or play:3) without anything else, would that do the job? Meaning: will the Sonos be Homey's output speaker to play it ALL, once it's connected?

I suspect it's not; to my knowledge Sonos does not have the possibilities to allow a direct stream to the speaker (hence no direct output from Homey to Sonos). You could opt for using the line-in on some of the Sonos units*, however Homey would have to switch to the right input (line-in) first.

And if so, can I then also play the music coming from my Sony TV via wifi on this Sonos?

As for music from your TV to Sonos; again you would likely need a Sonos product with a line-in, preferably the Playbar. Please be aware that only the Playbar allows for audio input without delays (if signal is forwarded from Playbar to the rest of the house you do get a delay).

*Sonos Connect (Amp), Playbar, Play:5

• I'm a bit confused right now. Can Homey control Sonos when Sonos Connect (you probably mean Bridge, Connect is an amplifier which you can connect on your existing home cinema set for instance) is being used or can Homey only control Sonos when using the line-in?

Sonos cannot stream directly from your WiFi network. You either need a Sonos Bridge (to connect your speaker wirelessly) or you need to connect your Sonos speakers directly to your internet router (cabled). Every Sonos speaker has an UTP connection on the back.

I'd like to know more about how Sonos can be controlled by Homey.

At first, all Homey's audio (voice + music) will go through the Sonos as a radio stream. Maybe later we'll add dedicated Sonos controls support.

• OGSOGS Member

Is there no speaker in Homey itself?
    As I don't have a Sonos speaker (using Logitech squeezebox) will Homey be able to speak to me?

Yes there is :) Don't expect booming quality though. There's also a line-out in Homey, so you can connect any wired speaker as well.

• BasPostBasPost Member
    edited August 2015

Emile said:
    Yes there is :) Don't expect booming quality though. There's also a line-out in Homey, so you can connect any wired speaker as well.

Can the internal speaker and line-out output sound simultaneously?
    So I can connect Homey to my Onkyo. When I want to hear Homey over my 5.1 set I only have to turn on the Onkyo

We can switch it by software, so theoretically yes. We only intend to use it when something's plugged in, and Homey doesn't hear anything back ("Hey, I couldn't turn on your speaker, maybe you could give me a hand?"). But that's for the future :)

• Maybe Homey can fall-back to internal speaker if the user doesn't respond?
    If my memory serves me well, Homey switches the input channel on Sonos when Homey want's to use the Sonos as output?

• AthomeyAthomey Member
    edited December 2015

@Emile: I've used search, and read every post in this forum ever, when they were posted. I can't find it, or forgot it, but I've got a question how Homey deals with multiple Sonos speakers/groups. For example, when someone enters our toilet, I want to light to switch on smoothly, and the Sonos in the toiletroom to start playing a (for example) Skyradio stream. The other Sonosses in house must be left alone. Is this possible? How is this implemented? Is this a future feature? Thx for your answer in advance. :-)

If you proxy the music through Homey, from an app like Spotify or SoundCloud, you can have one stream active at the same time.

I might create a more 'hacky' Sonos app that can control devices directly through the flow editor, but they won't make use of Homey's speaker system.

• Only one music stream up at the same time doesn't sound really future proof to me.. (Sonos, Heos, Chromecast audioaudio etc..).

Shouldn't this be changed in the core, rather than creating a hacky solution just for Sonos?

• Emile said:
    If you proxy the music through Homey, from an app like Spotify or SoundCloud, you can have one stream active at the same time.

I might create a more 'hacky' Sonos app that can control devices directly through the flow editor, but they won't make use of Homey's speaker system.

Sounds perfect, for use cases such as my example, where I need to control music per room, with the feed directly from Internet to Sonos. For example a TuneIn radio stream per device, which Sonia already supports. If I find time (which is difficult) I might look into it for a Homey app by myself, when I receive mine. Thx for your answer! Clear.

This discussion has been closed.