This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

How to add Z-Wave devices

I was just wondering, how do you add z-wave devices? Some devices need to connect in a short range about 50cm.
If I have a build-in on/off/dimmer switch, then I have to bring Homey within range of 50cm, I can't do that all over the house

Comments

• djeskodjesko Member

Same here , got some units outside that build-in.

• Fire69Fire69 Member

What would be the difference with any other z-wave controller?
    That's how the system works, not much you can do about that...

• BasPostBasPost Member
    edited July 2015

Fire69 said:

So you have to bring Homey outside to the shed where the Z-Wave switch is installed behind a switch to connect... aha... make sense! ;-P

• I dont have them yet. But i will make a plug with that I install it on the homey. And when that is done, I will put it behind a switch. But it will be more work with already installed modules.

• djeskodjesko Member

Fire69 said:

True , will first add inside units then the mesh network will get the ones outside ,

• TacoTaco Member

Homey does support Network Wide Inclusion as well as Direct Range. Refer to your devices manual which method your device supports.

• Sounds ok. Still have to open up several wallsockets to include them all. Since my target will be to migrate every Z-Wave device from my current system to Homey....

• Fire69Fire69 Member
    edited July 2015

If you already have devices installed in the wall you might be screwed :-) (I have modules in walls too...) but for new ones you just make a cable with a powerplug and you can use wagon plugs on the other end to connect your module. That way you can easily include them in your network without having to move your Homey :-)

• To bad you can not migrate from one zwave controller to another. Well, that is, i don't know if that's possible.

• TacoTaco Member

You can include Homey in a existing Z-Wave network if the primary controller in your network supports a controller shift.

• Hmmm, how do i know that? My primary is a Aeon Labs Z-stick S2 USB

• TacoTaco Member

For specific device information you have to ask the manufacturer.

• Ok, so if a controller shift is possible, do i initiate such a shift from within Homey?

• TacoTaco Member

I don't know if/where Emile added the button :p The code is has been written

• Wow, that's nice!

This discussion has been closed.