This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

Show IR signals

I tried to connect my LG IR remote to Homey. Unfortunately I did not succeed. While I push the buttons on my remote absolutely nothing happens. No problem, Homey is still in bèta but it would be nice to at least see Homey is receiving IR signals. Maybe by letting the LED ring flash. 

Comments

• I had also that problem @larsmachiels . You have to press a button as many times you can in 3sec. That worked for me
  • Tried that and it works. Great. Thanks for the tip. I noticed that Homey is more sensible for IR signals when you point to the "front" of the sphere. I thought it was 360 degrees sensible. Or maybe I was just in the wrong position.
  • Tried that and it works. Great. Thanks for the tip. I noticed that Homey is more sensible for IR signals when you point to the "front" of the sphere. I thought it was 360 degrees sensible. Or maybe I was just in the wrong position.
    Homey has only one infrared receiver, but 6 infrared blasters. 

Pressing multiple times is necessary to recognize the signal properly. For some remotes (mostly Philips) you should be able to keep the button pressed as well.
  • HansieNLHansieNL Member
    edited April 2016
    I tried 2 remote controls (Sony and Mede8er), but both not auto  recognized. If I try to manual add most keys are not recognized.
    Activating command give no response of tv.
    Any tip is welcome to fix this issue.
  • Same here. What is the best position to point remote to homey (front or rear where cable is)? Also I think signal processing is too strict since most buttons are not recognised.
  • wimpjewimpje Member
    edited April 2016
    I just received my homey and I'm trying to add my infrared devices, but Homey does not respond. It turns off the ring when 'listening' but how long / often I press I don't see any response in the web UI it's actually receiving anything. I tried with my dedicated and universal remote to teach it about my Yamaha RX V667 receiver. Too bad it's not working. And it's also not in the list when I search so can't get it to work for now, any tips/tricks?

[edit]
    Thanks for the tip that the version numbers are remote version numbers instead of device version numbers, I figured out my Yamaha RX V667 can be controlled via 'AV294'. So the only actual problem is that the UI doesn't show anything for the 'automatic configuration', but when I set the AV294, I can see button presses, which is great!

• Same problems here...
  • Same problems here...
  • Same problems here...
  • Same problems here...
  • Same problems here...
  • Same problems here...
  • AntonMadnessAntonMadness Member
    edited April 2016
    superice said:
    Homey has only one infrared receiver, but 6 infrared blasters

Ha! That got me curious :smiley:  Result (sorry for the music):

Little extra result from this, is that it might actually matter a little in which way you point them LED's
  • Same problem here,  trying to add my Toshiba TV.  However,  no response whatsoever from my Homey when pushing buttons on the remote. And my TV is not on the list of devices. 
  • @orcson The database lists remotes, not tvs. To find the name of your remotes search for the device for which it is used + remote and see if google shows pictures of your remote with a typenumber.

It took me some time to enter in my remotes manually because both are not in the database. It would be nice if a led on the led ring shows what is the right point on Homey to point the remote to have it learn the remote.
  • ARJARJ Member
    edited April 2016
    After two evenings testing with my LG remote but not al the buttons accepted. Tonight more luck. For me it helps to rotate the remote in several directions pointing towards Homey and pushing as many times for appr. 3 sec. at the same time. Got all buttons working now.

• It would be nice if a led on the led ring shows what is the right point on Homey to point the remote to have it learn the remote.
    I really like this suggestion!
  • greatpetie83, after a while I figuered out it did not list TV's but remote types and tried the remote type, in my case a CT-90345. Finding the type number was a piece of cake because the model number of the remote is listed right on top of the remote. However, no further luck, a lot of other Toshiba remotes are listed but not mine.

Today i'll try again to enter some buttons manually

+1 for greatpetie83 said:
    It would be nice if a led on the led ring shows what is the right point on Homey to point the remote to have it learn the remote.

• After half an hour I gave up on my CT-90345 after getting completely no response from my Homey. I also tried sending the IR signal from my LG G4 and my Samsung S4 but also no luck.
    For another remote (Aiwa C-8AT02) manual detection of buttons works fine. 
    Automatic detection however does not work at all, while being neatly listed. 
  • Has anyone been successful in adding a remote control from Apple. I use one for my Ipod Touch Docking station thats connected to my amplifier.. but Homey does not register any button pushed 
  • I don't get my Sony-remote to work. Remote type RMT-TX100D for a 809C TV. I have tried:

- Adding the remote via automatic racognition, it isn't recognised by Homey.
    - Adding the remote manualy. Just some buttons are recognised. Long-push or quick multiple pushing makes no difrence.

After learning just the power-button and making a flow with it, the TV is only responsing 50% of the time. Homey is about 3 or 4 meters away from the TV.

I hope IR will got a lot better in the future. A lot of devices I use daily are still controled via IR..
  • Robebar said:
    Has anyone been successful in adding a remote control from Apple. I use one for my Ipod Touch Docking station thats connected to my amplifier.. but Homey does not register any button pushed 
    Just added my Apple TV 3 remote. Had to do it manualy but every button works at aprox 7 meters.
  • fiekfiek Member
    I don't get my Sony-remote to work. Remote type RMT-TX100D for a 809C TV. I have tried:

- Adding the remote via automatic racognition, it isn't recognised by Homey.
    - Adding the remote manualy. Just some buttons are recognised. Long-push or quick multiple pushing makes no difrence.

After learning just the power-button and making a flow with it, the TV is only responsing 50% of the time. Homey is about 3 or 4 meters away from the TV.

I hope IR will got a lot better in the future. A lot of devices I use daily are still controled via IR..
    Hi all,

I also added the Sony remote RMT-TX100D for my 755C manually, but using it in a flow doesn't work. My homey is only 30 cm away from the TV. I also tried the remote for my settop box, but that also didn't work.

The Homey blog states that there are six IR led's built in. I am beginning to think that there is something wrong with the IR led's, because even putting Homey exact in front of the TV didn't change that.
  • When recording a Bose IR signal, the Bose lifestyle 28 does recognize it, but receives the signal 3+ times and starts but also shutdowns. 

Can an IR signal be manually edited or can the database used be improved? Sending out signals ones, would be great too
  • PinoPino Member
    Hi all, I noticed that the IR receiver is on the right; If you look down on the Homey from the top it's roughly at 4 o'clock to the right of the IR transmitter led. I couldn't get my Sony or Philips learning remote to work but this fixed it with manual learning of the buttons. I tested with NFC tags as trigger for the flows because i find voice input still too unreliable. Also keep in mind to set a couple of seconds delay after an IR trigger.
  • No, that's not right, the IR receiver is in the front, opposite from the USB cable, I guess someting like 5 degrees offset to the right.

• Fire69Fire69 Member
    I just tried adding the remote from our vacuum robot and strangely enough, it also worked best (still hardly...) from the right side.
  • I'm also having problems adding IR to my two homey's and lots or remotes I threw at it. (not literately)

I found the following interesting things though:
    1. Airco remotes and other special remotes most often with an LCD screen, seem to have a longer special signal that actually includes the temperature, fan speed, timers, etc in there signal. Or I guess it it doing this. When I change settings I will just see icons on the LCD change, but the IR stay's off, until you don't press a other button for 1 sec, then it will do one IR signal. I guess this signal is a bit to complicated for homey to record. Even if you would record it, it is not like you do temp up or down, your actually recording temp = current set temperature.
    2. Signals are recorded as the same signal?
    At first we thought the manual IR record froze every time we recorded our first signal, after seeing it record multiple signals with other remotes where very happy it worked, until we found out 5 seconds later the reason why it seemed to be frozen. Somehow homey interprets most buttons on our remotes as same buttons. One of our remotes (Denon RC-884) in "receiver" mode, gives us after lots of trying around 3 to 5 buttons that where recorded. Though the "On/source" button, and "Volume-Up" seemed to be the same signal. (the blue selection when doing manual adding is going back to that signal). and if you push every button once it alway's goes back to the top (first) signal. The only reason I can guess why this is, is because the signals used are often longer/more complex then the homey reads at the moment. Trying to use the signal gives most often no response on devices. For some devices it gives a rather random response (our airco is going on or off, but most often only try's to go on.. and on again.. and then suddenly one time it is going off again...)

It might be worth to look into the resolution density and especially the length of an IR signal. I guess in a lot of cases just the initial signal is captured (what is the same for almost all buttons) but the following part of the signal might be cut off.
  • a monitor / log interface where you can see witch data comes in true IR but also for NFC/RFID tags (for exampe you don't have the rfid id) etc...
This discussion has been closed.