This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

So, it's Friday... But will this be a release friday?

Comments

• So if a brand new homey goes into setup and update, it downloads the last stable.
    So if a "field" homey goes into factory reset,                  it downloads the last experimental?
  • bvdbosbvdbos Member
    edited April 2016
    No, resetting doesn't load new firmware. It starts over with the latest firmware downloaded. If you want to go back in FW, you have to upload an old image (like in https://forum.athom.com/discussion/comment/17958/#Comment_17958 )

• To me that feels so not natural.... If Experimental is Opt-in and I do a factory reset, then I(!) expect my device goes back to the last stable release.

• They could do that, then Athom should provide an extra partition on the disk and store the image there if it's stable. Perhaps that's the idea for v1.0 ?
  • So if a Factory reset don't kick a homey back in Firmware version, what's the best practices to go back in Firmware?
  • Wait until the desktop app is released.
  • Or use the way @Bumblez was able to save from the dark corners of the interwebs on your own risk...
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited April 2016
    Really strange that a "dark interwebs" and own risk method is needed to go back from experimental to stable.
  • It's not that strange: Athom sends this by mail to people who have to re-flash too ;) But you point has been made (multiple times)
  • Thanks for noticing I made a point :smile: 
    Still think its strange to push people/device in a Experimental which only can be reversed by a own risk firmware reload.

If you push devices to experimental, also make it reasonable to go back to stable.

But that's my opinion and not yours.
  • Well, currently you can't go 'back' in firmware without that method. But you CAN disable the experimental mode, so that, from the next release version onwards, you're back on release versions...
  • PandaPanda Member
    An ideal situation would be to have 2 partitions for firmware like some advanced routers have. If  you want to roll back just boot in to the other partition and your back.
  • pfff what a fuzzz about nothing......
    Al versions where unstable and experimental....... Thats wy its called BETA.
    Dont like it?? Then you should have waited for a Homey you can buy at the Media Markt.
    Afraid to flash back ? Why the hell where you not afraid about the big yellow notice when putting a mark infront experimentall ?
  • That's why I canceled my Kickstarter and not going to buy one before September and/or its stable enough to not run alpha's. 
  • mruitermruiter Member
    edited April 2016
    All i can say..... youre loss. Is nice play time with Homey and. see her grow :)
  • @mruiter ;
    I agree to that. I'd like to play with it.
    It's like there are added features very fast because more and more starts working and is added.

And it's a chance to help develop Homey. Just by providing your input and opinion.

• BumblezBumblez Member
    edited April 2016
    mruiter said:
    All i can say..... youre loss. Is nice play time with Homey and. see her grow
    Well, right now I can very well understand @MarcoF. I have my Homey since Wednesday, but it refuses to connect to my WiFi network (see the other thread about that, for everything I've tried already), so atm it's nothing more than an expensive LED light. And Athom support takes their time in replying... These are the kind of things that shouldn't be happening, even in beta. If this isn't solved before next Wednesday, then I'm going to return my Homey and follow Marco's example (wait for the retail version).
  • Bumblez said:
    mruiter said:
    Well, right now I can very well understand @MarcoF. I have my Homey since Wednesday, but it refuses to connect to my WiFi network (see the other thread about that, for everything I've tried already), so atm it's nothing more than an expensive LED light. And Athom support takes their time in replying... These are the kind of things that shouldn't be happening, even in beta. If this isn't solved before next Wednesday, then I'm going to return my Homey and follow Marco's example (wait for the retail version).
    That's strange, i have also my Homey since wednesday and Connecting to my WiFi works fine. Sorry, but i don't understand MarcoF..... As everyone thinks this way, it take a long time before homey is available as retail version.
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited April 2016
    Lost nothing, yesterday received 4 new Zwave modules(2 Greenwaves, 2 Fibaro 2x1,5kW) added them in 1 minute and working like a charm. Monitoring fridge, switching kitchen light, power saving printer (if printer switched on, auto switch off after 30min). 

Very stable and great experience. 

@dhanstede ;
    Why is my thinking delaying Homey's going retail? 
  • BumblezBumblez Member
    edited April 2016
    dhanstede said:
    That's strange, i have also my Homey since wednesday and Connecting to my WiFi works fine. Sorry, but i don't understand MarcoF..... As everyone thinks this way, it take a long time before homey is available as retail version.
    It like just about everything in Homey atm... for some it works, for some it doesn't. And if your Homey can connect to the internet and download the next firmware upgrade, then you can just wait for the next fix. But the internet connection is essential... without it, Homey is useless. So that's the one thing that should work in all situations... and as you can see from the feedback in that other thread, there are way too many cases where it doesn't.

And frankly, I believe Athom just needs more time for their software. Having users provide feedback helps, but for many situations, they can improve (and test) the software themselves, without needing users do it for them. Having more users provide feedback, won't make Athom work any faster, so I don't think it will impact when Homey is available as retail. As is, Marco's estimate of September may actually be quite accurate...
  • MarcoF said:
    Lost nothing, yesterday received 4 new Zwave modules(2 Greenwaves, 2 Fibaro 2x1,5kW) added them in 1 minute and working like a charm. Monitoring fridge, switching kitchen light, power saving printer (if printer switched on, auto switch off after 30min). 

Very stable and great experience. 

@dhanstede ;
    Why is my thinking delaying Homey's going retail? 
    As everyone thinks you're way, no one reporting bugs in the EARLY BETA software....  ;)
  • @dhanstede ;
    Please, what I'm I thinking and why is my thinking delaying retail? 
  • novaflashnovaflash Member
    edited April 2016
    I tend to agree with MarcoF here. Homey is so far from useful right now, it's going to take pretty much half a year before it's anywhere near able to handle what a retail product should be able to handle. I don't blame him for choosing another system in the meantime. I'm thinking of doing the same thing until Homey is ready.

And about reporting bugs? I reported 3. One was extremely trivial and would be solved. That's great. And another breaks Homey's voice input entirely just by making the simplest of flows (when: homey starts listening: then say "What?", Homey stops listening and there's no way around this), and this issue was closed by Emile because "it's intended behavior". And the third was about how unbelievably unmanageable Z-wave is at the moment. At that point I got all the demotivation I need to stop reporting bugs for now. I'll come back to it when they've got basic functionality working somewhat acceptably.

It's great to see the product grow, but to be ignored completely when the main selling point of the Homey (voice recognition) isn't being paid attention to and my bug report ignored is demotivating.

For now I think I'll get a Vera and least get things working. I'll check on Homey's progress every now and then until I see some indication that it's ready to take on the job. Maybe I'll add Homey as a device to control the Vera with voice commands. I won't give up on Homey, but it's just clear it needs too much work at the moment. I think the Q2 estimate for a retail product is still possible, if they keep up the good work.
  • Bumblez said:
    mruiter said:
    did you test if it works when you change your wifi network name ? to a simple one 
  • Bumblez said;

And frankly, I believe Athom just needs more time for their software. Having users provide feedback helps, but for many situations, they can improve (and test) the software themselves, without needing users do it for them. Having more users provide feedback, won't make Athom work any faster, so I don't think it will impact when Homey is available as retail. As is, Marco's estimate of September may actually be quite accurate...
    Agreed, how many more sunrise/sunset not working, my system time is wrong, volume controls don't work etc. do we need?

Btw, in the next version there is a date_human in geek stuff now; "At least added this to prevent another hundred 'my time is incorrect' posts hehe" 
  • 2mv2mv Member
    Can I fire this up again?
    @marcof: "Still think its strange to push people/device in a Experimental which only can be reversed by a own risk firmware reload."
    There is no stable. If you pre-ordered you opted in on a beta to get your homey now. There is no pushing people/device in an experimental. And then you can only "reverse" to a stable if there is a stable, is there?

So you are addressing a problem that isn't current. A lot of fuss about nothing.

• 2Be2Be Member
    @novaflash ;

I can understand your situation and agree that If you feel this way you should check back later on.

What I don't understand is why someone would be sending back their product, set up another one and keep posting negative posts based on other ones experiences.  like
    @MarcoF ;

• 2Be said:
    @novaflash ;

I can understand your situation and agree that If you feel this way you should check back later on.

What I don't understand is why someone would be sending back their product, set up another one and keep posting negative posts based on other ones experiences.  like
    @MarcoF ;

I totally agree with you.....  
  • did you test if it works when you change your wifi network name ? to a simple one 
    I tested different SSIDs, different passwords, and a lot more... I've been trying running the setup from different devices and tried lots of different router settings. Nothing works for me. See my feedback in the "Homey unable to connect to wifi" thread. On top of that, changing router settings to get it to work should not be necessary. I have ~20 different devices of various types that are able to connect to my WiFi network without any issues... Homey is the first one that can't. To me that's definitely a critical bug in their programming.

This discussion has been closed.