This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

My Homey just doesn't get me...

Hey guys, this is a long post, bear with me.

I got Homey two days ago. After installation, i immediately noticed speech recognition was bad. Really bad. Luckily the forum taught me how to upgrade the software, and people were reporting 60% or 80% accuracy when using 8.30 on Dutch settings. So i switched to that, and i also did the voice improvement a bunch of times. Sadly it did not get better.

Since "bad" is very subjective, i took a notebook and did some tests. The room was completely quiet, aside for an occasional very soft hum from the refrigerator engaging. Here's a summary of the results.

At 3-4 meters distance from Homey:
- commands fired: 53
- times Homey understood the "okay homey" trigger: 46/53
- times Homey reacted correctly to the command "tijd": 0/9
- times Homey reacted correctly to the command "wat is de tijd": 2/16
- times Homey reacted correctly to the command "lamp aan": 1/14
- times Homey reacted correctly to the command "licht uit": 0/14
- times Homey reported hearing anything at all in the speech-input page: 9/53
  - times the speech input showed what i actually said: 3/9

At +-1 meter distance from Homey:
- commands fired: 57
- times Homey understood the "okay homey" trigger: 42/57
- times Homey reacted correctly to the command "tijd": 1/11
- times Homey reacted correctly to the command "wat is de tijd": 2/14
- times Homey reacted correctly to the command "lamp aan": 1/16
- times Homey reacted correctly to the command "licht uit": 1/14
- times Homey reported hearing anything at all in the speech-input page: 10/56
  - times the speech input showed what i actually said: 4/10
  (- times the speech input was wrong, but close enough to still give the answer i wanted: 1/10)

All in all that gives me a succesful answer 8 out of 110 tries, or a very poor 7% succesrate.

A picture of the measurements, including the lines Homey thought he heard, can be found here.

I was expecting a device in beta stage. I do not mind that homey says "de time is nul zeven" at 20:07h. I do not mind that it says the software version is undefined. I do not mind that the Sonos app is not ready. I do not mind that it doesn't know my tv brand. All of these things will get fixed.

I do however VERY MUCH mind that i cannot get the Homey to do ANYTHING without asking AT LEAST 10 TIMES.

I really want to start making flows and was planning to look into building an app to control my infrared controlled led strips, but there is very little point in building commands that i can't trigger. I could not find any more helpful information on how to improve the succesrate of commands other than to upgrade to 8.30 and to switch to Dutch.

Please, someone tell me how to get this thing working? :(

Comments

• I don't want to be rude... but the forum is already full with topics like this.
    Maybe read those first?  Then you'll see that it's just not working very good for the moment and there's nothing you can do about it yourself.
  • tunftunf Member
    @pulsar thank you for your post. This post and reaction is exaclty what i wanted to prevend and therefore shared all my experiances with the post 'my first homey' , lets see if an extra couple of days will fix things.
  • I realised there were a number of posts like this one. Most of those seem to report that they got at least 50+% reliability. As i demonstrated, i get about 7%.

Meanwhile there are a lot more posts of people developing apps, building flows, connecting devices, debugging software, and much more things that imply they have a Homey that works better than mine does. I just want to know how they got it that way.

If the answer is: "everyones Homey is as deaf as yours", then i apologise and will shut up :), but as far as i read on the forum, that's not the case.
  • HansieNLHansieNL Member
    edited April 2016
    "Ik ga slapen", "Ik ben weer thuis" and "ik ga weg" are Well recgnized.
    Words as "lamp", "licht" and "gang" are still a big problem. I'll stick to the working commands till next firmware update.
  • I haven't tested it as thoroughly as you have, but I'm guessing my success rate will be less than 5%  :(
    I connect devices also, and make flows and test apps.

Homey is not just about the voice input.
    You can try a lot of its functionality already by 'simulating' speech thanks to the /speech-input page.