This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

milight

Hi all,

Just in the app store support for the milight led bulbs. Anyone that has experiance using this devices? And are also the RGB led strips supported?

Comments

• I have one milight light bulb at the moment to try it out. I'm using it for 5 months now and all is working fine.

Android app isn't very friendly and is half in Chinese, but you shouldnt need to use the app once you get your hands on a homey.

When displaying colors it's not very Bright. I don't know how this compares to other brands tho.
  • I bought a couple of bulbs but the warm white version isn't really warm in my opinion. You could go for a yellowish color to compensate but I also bought some hues and the whites in those are way better. 
  • mruitermruiter Member
    edited January 2016
    I hope the rbs strip is. there should be no reason not to i guess, same com language.
    And the rgb controllers are so cheap in comparison to hue or dresden strips controller

https://www.ledstripxl.nl/milight-rgb-ledstrip-losse-zone-controller.html?utm_campaign=Ledstrip-accessoires/afstandsbedieningen&utm_term=Milight RGB LEDStrip Losse Zone Controller&utm_content=Milight&utm_source=GoogleShopping&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=COSb1smzvsoCFRW3GwodqlYFWw

I see the app works with the wifi controller box for these controllers.

you can buy a wifi controller and 4 rgb strip controllers as a complete set for 45 euros on ali express. free shipping from chinatown.
    now thats a deal. Ali also has 10 meter rgb strip waterproof and with stickytape for 20 euros
    Dont you just love those chinese guys. no wonder the european economie goes down the drain. lol

• Some good prices here as well http://m.banggood.com/E27-6W-RGBW-14-LED-450LM-LED-Spotlight-Dimmable-Bulb-lamp-85-265V-p-971552.html

have been using these for 6 months now without any problems. Cannot compare them with hue or other types of rgbw lamps as I do not have other types and have not seen these other types in action. But they work as advertised with a low energy consumption and they can be controlled via a fibaro HC2 virtual device, RF remote control or via an app. So basically happy. 
  • fuzzybear said:
    Not sure the Homey supports the RGBW bulbs? On the App Store it's only got RGB and White as supported devices. Though I would think the connection with the wifi hub thing is quite the same.
  • Pardon my previous post; I now understand that Rocket LED, Limitless, Applamp, MiLight, Easybulb are basically all the same thing.
  • Not sure the Homey supports the RGBW bulbs? On the App Store it's only got RGB and White as supported devices. Though I would think the connection with the wifi hub thing is quite the same.
    Homey will also support the RGBW bulbs. (We are working on that currently)
    In the next version of the MiLight app they will be on the "Supported devices"-list!

• +1for milight support :-)
    I use milight all over the house,
    bulbs RGBW ,
    bulbs white,
    ledstrips RGBW.
    are the ledstrips RGBW going to be supported ?
  • My 9W RGBW Milight bulbs arrived today, actually work pretty well. Not sure how they compare to Philips Hue though. I ended up using the EasyBulb app instead of the Milight app, liked the appearance better.

Now I just have to wait for my Homey to arrive so I don't need to open loads of apps to change things.
  • RickRick Member
    edited February 2016
    According to the Athom App store page of the MiLight App, only RGB and White bulbs are supported. Is support coming for the RGBW bulbs (E27/Spotlight) and ledstrips as well?

Edit: nevermind, missed the post above  :) Question still stands for the spotlight and ledstrips though.
  • We want to support the spotlight and ledstrips aswell.  (They might already work if you try one of the existing MiLight drivers!)
    But at the moment we do not have the spotlight and ledstrips in our office to write a proper driver for them.
    We will try to buy them from the internet and as soon as they arrive we will start to write a driver for them.

• Anyone got Milight app to work?  

it does find the wifi bridge and i can select my 4 lights , but cannot control any of the lights , just grayed out ! 

Is all RGBWW lights

Any tip ?

Br djesko
  • MartijnHarteMartijnHarte Member
    edited March 2016
    djesko said:
    Anyone got Milight app to work?  

it does find the wifi bridge and i can select my 4 lights , but cannot control any of the lights , just grayed out ! 

Is all RGBWW lights

Any tip ?

Br djesko
    See https://github.com/athombv/homey/issues/231;
  • The Milight works now! 

• App works pretty well. Only thing I'm missing is the ability to change the hue using flows. And on RGBW lights to switch to white perhaps.
  • RobinRobin Member
    @JasperKort we are aware of this missing feature, most color changing bulbs support both hue and saturation (philips hue, lifx, etc.). In order to change the color of the light Homey uses both these capabilities, however the milight doesn't support changing saturation therefore some changes have to be made to support this!
  • SommoSommo Member
    edited April 2016
    hi all, with the new app i still need the hub for the milight bulb? or could i use the hue hub (the new version square) also for the milight?
  • Found this in the milight node:
    /**
    * Limitations: As RGBW bulbs do not support setting of saturation, hue and brightness will be.
    * @param r
    * @param g
    * @param b
    * @returns {*[]}
    */
    ColorRgbwCmd.prototype.rgb255 = function (r, g, b) {
    var hsv= this.rgbToHsv(r, g, b),
    hue= this.hue(this.hsvToMilightColor(hsv)),
    brightness=this.brightness(hsv[2]);
    return [hue, brightness];
    };
    Can u use the hue and brightness instead of hue and saturation?
  • tobyleurstobyleurs Member
    edited April 2016
    When I use the Milight app to control my lights there are a many modes I can choose from. Like flashing or fading etc. Is it possible to trigger these modes from a flow?

Like there is one white strobe mode that I would like to connect to my doorbell. Or a red flashing mode for some kind of an alarm status. 
  • How can I get the white light? In the Milight app I must 2 times press the on button. 
  • NrealNreal Member
    Anyone has the Milight App working? When i try it to connect to my Milight hub it keeps me in the "Select the device you want to add" window, with a "loading" logo underneath it. After a while i get a "True" error.

https://github.com/athombv/homey/issues/477
  • It worked when i added them but after an hour the devices didn't respond.
  • btwvince said:
    It worked when i added them but after an hour the devices didn't respond.
    Same here 
  • When I look in my apps I see it crashed:
    I'm on 0.8.30

• Crashed here as well on 0.8.30, have restarted it now, lets see how long it takes before it crashes again.
  • If you disable and enable it, it works for 30 minutes or so...
  • RobinRobin Member
    edited April 2016
    I am aware of the Milight app crashing after a set amount of time (using it myself as well :)). I prepared a fix, which is in the process of being tested and published to the app store. In the meantime, if you are impatient get it from github: https://github.com/athombv/com.milight

If you happen to find any problem, please just create an issue on github!:)
  • 2Be2Be Member
    I installed the new update. Question, I selected the RGBW bulb, but I can't set a color in the flow card. I can change the color under devices. Why isn't this working and am I the only one?
  • RobinRobin Member
    We are aware of the missing flow card (Milight misses the saturation capability which is needed for the current color picker). This is on our to-do list (@Emile).