This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Can't seem to get homey talkin back to me

Hello,

I received my homey 2 days ago and trying too set it up
but my homey refuses too talk to me its getting kinda frustrating

I got the setup and all done and when i ask him:

hey homey, what is the time 
hey homey what version are you runnning 

all he does is: 

turning from rainbow to yellow when i say hey homey, then making a white circle and then going back too rainbow after a few seconds thats all he does (in english and in dutch)

Comments

• I currently experience the same thing after the voice recognition working pretty well for some weeks. It stated for me either around the update to firmware 0.8.29 or the update of my router. I do see done DNS requests from Homey to my DNS on upd port 53 which have status unreplied but I'm not sure it's related. Looking into it further.
  • Please check: http://<ip>/manager/speech-input/ to see what homey thinks you said. For me personally setting the speech to Dutch solved the issue because I'm from the Netherlands
  • I have firmware 0.8.29

Speech is recognised occasionally, but is hit and miss. I can control my two KaKu controlled curtain rails, occasionally. In the speech-input manager I can see the words Homey hears.

Two questions:
    - do I understand correctly that Homey comes with 'standaard'  words built-in?
      So, a command like "lights on" should - if used in a flow - be able to perform an action...right?

- if switched to Dutch, do i say voice commands in Ditch or English ....

Thanks!
  • 2mv2mv Member
    edited April 2016
    @secretchoas After the setup of my homey I switched to the Dutch language. It downloads the male voice then.
    From then on, 'ok homey' results is a white circle. (nearly everytime). Just like you.
    In http://<ip>/manager/speech-input/ I saw not a single voice command. Nothing gets through. Absolutely nothing.
    Then I removed the dutch voice (and switched back to English) and rebooted.
    In English I get fairly good results, 'ok homey' is just as good, voice commands reasonably good. And it gives voice feedback.

So, then I switched back to Dutch and voice command results are mediocre at best. You know, 'beter iets dan niets' gave absolutely no results, but 'koekebakker' did. No speech feedback (for instance 'hoe laat is het', it understood this, but gave no speech respons).

So removing and installing, and again, and rebooting en resetting and all that in no particular order can give you some improvements.

You got to hustle through I guess.

• If you switch to Dutch you'll have to speak Dutch and Homey will reply in Dutch
  • i had the same problem. it was very frustrating indeed.
    then i updated to firmware .30 and switched to dutch, it was a big improvement with 80% accuracy 
  • I had the same problem with 8.29. Out of 50 tries, homey replied exactly once. I was nearly convinced Homey was broken, untill i got that one reply. That's when i realised Homey must not be understanding me.

After visiting the forums, visiting that URL confirmed this. I saw Homey kept hearing garbled nonsense.

As for a point of improvement: i think Homey should say something like "i did not understand this command" when hearing something. Just doing nothing makes it seem broken. Of course after a while, you need to be able to turn of this option, but at the start, it's needed.
  • Pulsar said:
    As for a point of improvement: i think Homey should say something like "i did not understand this command" when hearing something. Just doing nothing makes it seem broken. Of course after a while, you need to be able to turn of this option, but at the start, it's needed.
    I think I prefer hearing nothing. Right now, it understand maybe 1% of what I'm saying (excluding the trigger, that works 95% of the times). If Homey would tell me it didn't understand me, I would go crazy. Maybe when it understands a bit better, a reply would be good. Honestly, I must have said "Wiki" and "Wikipedia" a 100 times. 
  • Please check: http://<ip>/manager/speech-input/ to see what homey thinks you said. For me personally setting the speech to Dutch solved the issue because I'm from the Netherlands
    Ah this helped alot i reinstalled homey from scratch and now i am able to get some sound out of it.

How ever is it just me or do i need to ben in an area of about 1-2 meters or else his hearing gets really bad ? 
  • That depends on the volume of your voice. I got it working for 4 meters from the device but my neighbours don't really like my solution.. ;P
  • I can go 8 meters easily without having to shout at it.
    It won't understand a word I'm saying, but it doesn't when I'm close by either so...  :/
  • TangaiTangai Member
    edited April 2016
    Troubleshooting/first startup:

For new people maby this startup tips will help. It is always hard to find some solutions with a new product:
    (Always use the Chrome browser, use the video instructions of Athom)

1 Unpack your box
    2 Power up your Homey
    3 Follow the instruction it says -> go to setup.athom.com using your tablet, smartphone or laptop with a wifi
       connection
    4 After it states you need to connect to homey setup, go to your wifi connection and you see a "homey setup"
       connection (choose it)
    5 Choose you wifi connection and insert your network password. Issues connecting? Try the following:
      * Try to connect another time to your wifi connection, important: don't close your web browser!
      * Try to connect another time to your wifi connection, yes even after the second one has failed....
      * Try to ajust the wifi password
      * Try to ajust the network broadcast name
    6 When your finally able to connect to the wifi network it start downloading the update
    7 Walk to your Homey and give it a full reset by holding your homey upside down and wait until the timer is finished 
      (This step is important because I had some voice recognition issues. This step handled the problem)
    8 Try to ask your Homey "Ok Homey (wait 2 secs) What is the time? (If it response than go to the last step)
    9 Congrats you can start using  your Homey!

Succes to you all from an impressed User

Rogier