This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

Favorite IDE

I'm currently using IntelliJ Idea Community Edition 2016.1 as IDE, which is working just fine.
The reason is that I'm familiar with Android studio for developing Android apps.

What are you guys using and what are the advantages?

Comments

• Personally I'm fan of Atom with a ton of plugins (linter-eslint, minimap, project-viewer, pigments) and the themes Atom Material and Atom Material Numix for syntax highlighting. It's very extensible, and has all the features I'd expect from an IDE / editor for JavaScript. I hear that Atom is slow for some users, but on a MBP 2015 15" here it's blazingly fast :)

For Android development Android Studio with the Darcula UI and syntax highlighting. And for the occasional Java project IntelliJ :)
  • I use Coda 2 from Panic.com on my Mac.

It's not cheap but works great. Not even remotely close to using all the available useful functions :)
  • superice said:
    Personally I'm fan of Atom with a ton of plugins (linter-eslint, minimap, project-viewer, pigments) and the themes Atom Material and Atom Material Numix for syntax highlighting. It's very extensible, and has all the features I'd expect from an IDE / editor for JavaScript. I hear that Atom is slow for some users, but on a MBP 2015 15" here it's blazingly fast :)

For Android development Android Studio with the Darcula UI and syntax highlighting. And for the occasional Java project IntelliJ :)
    IntelliJ only does some checks for brackets etc but other than that nothing (I.e. auto complete for functions)
    Does Atom do any of that?
  • superice said:
    Personally I'm fan of Atom with a ton of plugins (linter-eslint, minimap, project-viewer, pigments) and the themes Atom Material and Atom Material Numix for syntax highlighting. It's very extensible, and has all the features I'd expect from an IDE / editor for JavaScript. I hear that Atom is slow for some users, but on a MBP 2015 15" here it's blazingly fast :)

IntelliJ only does some checks for brackets etc but other than that nothing (I.e. auto complete for functions)
    Does Atom do any of that?
    Yes, it does, pretty well actually. IntellJ's autocomplete is made for Java, I think, so I'm not sure how good the JavaScript-support is (actually, WebStorm may be better suited for you if you're used to the Jetbrains tools). Atom does autocomplete pretty well out of the box, as well as anyone can expect for a weakly typed language as JavaScript. It does matching by trying to predict what type of language construct you're probable to use (e.g. variable, function, keyword etc.) and then looks up possible matches in your project. (And I suspect it follows require/import calls for NodeJS). All in all it works pretty okay, but not as well as IntelliJ does with Java.
  • I use Visual Studio Code along with a plugin called standardjs. This plugin forces me to write my code consistently :).
  • superice said:
    Yes, it does, pretty well actually. IntellJ's autocomplete is made for Java, I think, so I'm not sure how good the JavaScript-support is (actually, WebStorm may be better suited for you if you're used to the Jetbrains tools). Atom does autocomplete pretty well out of the box, as well as anyone can expect for a weakly typed language as JavaScript. It does matching by trying to predict what type of language construct you're probable to use (e.g. variable, function, keyword etc.) and then looks up possible matches in your project. (And I suspect it follows require/import calls for NodeJS). All in all it works pretty okay, but not as well as IntelliJ does with Java.
    Thanks, I'll look into it.
  • EvertorN said:
    I use Visual Studio Code along with a plugin called standardjs. This plugin forces me to write my code consistently :).
    Visual Studio, never thought of that. Thanks!
  • You can also use a slightly altered version of Eclipse for Node.js:
    www.nodeclipse.org/

However I prefer Atom at this moment. 

• Is there any code completion available for the homey managers? 

Would be nice to be available for eclipse 
  • That would be even more helpfull!
    Isn't it possible to develop an plugin for IntelliJ IDEA to have code completion?
  • you can use this json schema for code completion:
    https://forum.athom.com/discussion/1268/json-schema-for-app-json
  • I use visual studio. I love it. IntellJ's autocomplete lots of plugins, debugger ... 
  • undergroundunderground Member
    edited November 2016
    I use visual studio. I love it. IntellJ's autocomplete lots of plugins, debugger ... 
    A debugger for Homey app? Tell me how? Because without the modern tooling like breakpoints, watch, edit and continue etc (well, modern.....) I won't create a Homey app. Debugging using debug/trace statements in the console is soooo tedious and I left that era a long time ago.
  • For any Javascript project, I use Webstorm by IntelliJ. 
This discussion has been closed.