This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Homey Fixed IP address

Hi,

Is it possible to assign a fixed IP address to Homey?

Comments

• Not (yet) from within Homey itself but you could of course do this in your router.
  • In router under DHCP search for address reservation, static IP or similar.
  • EdTstEdTst Member
    DJF3 said:
    Hi,

Is it possible to assign a fixed IP address to Homey?

+1
    Static IP addresses are a pain in the b*t to maintain. Use dhcp reservations to achieve the same. This way you'll have central management of all of your IP addresses and less chance of duplicate IP addresses.
    Just my 2 cents.
  • Static IP Addressed don't need to be a pain in the ..as long as you try to manage that ( for instance in a diagram of some sort). What I've done at our home is to give certain devices a static ip address such as my receiver or my server. All other devices receive a IP via DHCP which starts at a specific range. So yes it would be nice to specify a static ip at homey itself.
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited April 2016
    Here I have a specific DHCP Pool from: 
    192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.200

The group before and after the pool can be used for fixed addresses. 
    Most of the fixed/static devices(receiver, TV, decoder, AP, managed switches, Rpi's, etc) in my house have a fixed address. The pool is used for "mobile" devices of family/friends etc.

Big advantage of fixed addresses is that I exactly known how to connect to all these devices. 

Works like a charm :smile: 

• AthomeyAthomey Member
    edited April 2016
    MarcoF said:

Most of the fixed/static devices(receiver, TV, decoder, AP, managed switches, Rpi's, etc) in my house have a fixed address. The pool is used for "mobile" devices of family/friends etc.

Big advantage of fixed addresses is that I exactly known how to connect to all these devices. 

Works like a charm smile 

Still, also fixed IP's should be managed from DHCP static settings in the router. Not per-device. That's not the way to go and 1990's with all kinds of managability problems. :-)  Homey should not provide these settings I think. I use static IP with Homey, and would not DREAM to set it up in Homey itself. Same for my other 101 devices in the house. Same advantage you mention: fixed addresses which I know exactly how to connect, but in my eyes better implementation. 2cts.
  • MarcoF said:

Works like a charm :smile: 

If, in Windows Server DHCP, you add a reservation for devices outside the scope (100 - 200 in above example), Homey will receive the IP outside the DHCP scope but will still use DHCP to assign.  B)

But I guess not many people have a full Windows Server network at home like me  :p
  • +1
    it would be nice to have at least the option.
    its up to the user how to implement Homey in his network and how he will assign an IP address.
  • mruitermruiter Member
    edited April 2016

If you have a decent router you can assign fixed ip adresses to leases and mac adresses.

IoT best practice is Things work everywhere so dhcp prefered and as homey does a broadcast to discover.

Nevertheless is also have assigned a fix ip . Handy dandy for pings and trafic grabs with Wireshark.

The place to be is in youre router.

• MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited April 2016
    Athomey said:
    MarcoF said:

Works like a charm smile 

Still, also fixed IP's should be managed from DHCP static settings in the router. Not per-device. That's not the way to go and 1990's with all kinds of managability problems. :-)  Homey should not provide these settings I think. I use static IP with Homey, and would not DREAM to set it up in Homey itself. Same for my other 101 devices in the house. Same advantage you mention: fixed addresses which I know exactly how to connect, but in my eyes better implementation. 2cts.
    Oops... forgot one thing and i didn't said Homey should get a option to set a fix IP :smile: 

Of course I use DHCP IP reservations based on MAC address and of course a new client will get a IP from the pool :smile: 

Based on the ARP table of my Draytek it should be very easy to identify Homey's MAC and DHCP IP and set a static IP.

Would be very nice if Athom adds a sticker to the box and/or Homey itself with all relevant info of Homey such as Hostname, Default IP, WiFi SSID, WiFi MAC, etc.

• novaflashnovaflash Member
    edited April 2016
    It's all up to Athom, of course, but I believe it would be wise to:

1. Have a unique host name per Homey to avoid host name collission issues as experienced by some.
    2. Allow the user to manually adjust the IP address/hostname settings. If it's wrong, a simple reset will fix that.
    3. A better local login system that doesn't need a call to an outside system just to log on locally.

I understand people rightly point out that a DHCP static lease is an option, but I want to have some control over my equipment, and having to use a 'workaround' to get that level of control is annoying. And besides, some systems don't allow you to set up a static DHCP address, either because the provider has locked the router down or because the system is just stupid.

Besides, even my printer has the option to set a static IP. And that thing's a lot cheaper and simpler than the Homey.
  • My car hasn't a possibility to set a fixed IP, does that make it a bad car?

If your provider locked your router, then you need to contact them and ask for more control AND/OR buy a proper router that's compatible with you connection. Also adding fixed IP's to a DHCP controlled network is asking for troubles.

Your 3 points are good points!
  • novaflash said:
    G
    1. Have a unique host name per Homey to avoid host name collission issues as experienced by some.
    2. Allow the user to manually adjust the IP address/hostname settings. If it's wrong, a simple reset will fix that.
    3. A better local login system that doesn't need a call to an outside system just to log on locally.

I understand people rightly point out that a DHCP static lease is an option, but I want to have some control over my equipment, and having to use a 'workaround' to get that level of control is annoying. And besides, some systems don't allow you to set up a static DHCP address, either because the provider has locked the router down or because the system is just stupid.

Besides, even my printer has the option to set a static IP. And that thing's a lot cheaper and simpler than the Homey.
    Using static dhcp leases isn't a workaround but it is best practice. No need to maintain documentation of which device uses which IP because that is all documented in your router/dhcp server. No wifi router available today is without dhcp and static leases so why not use it?
    Everybody has their own preferences but the level of control using static IP or static leases is exactly the same where the use of static leases gives you central management. So I see no advantage in using static IP addresses...
    But, that's just my opinion  o:) <3
  • novaflash said:

I totaly agree with 1 and 3. Don't care much for 2 as long as it's optional to use DHCP (as default)
  • just love this discussion :-)

but if you use static Ip addresses  u dont have to use dhcp
    no dhcp reservation on Mac address (mac spoofing), dont have to be afraid of rogue dhcp, dont have to wonder if i have multiple devices which could give out the same ip -ranges,  i dont have broadcasts on my network.

maybe i could go for a dhcp relay agent :-)

sorry could not come up with more terms in this time
    account: GOD
    password: paranoide

but to the point, 
    i just like to have the option "to choose" for myself how i like to configure my home network and devices in it.

• I Love Forums  <3

If a "hacker" is at a point that he can spoof mac address on my LAN, then point 1,2,3/DHCP etc are non issue.
  • At that time you should be worried he won't steal your cat (dog, rabbit, etc)  :s
  • +1 for fixed IP address, a lot of my devices are set with fixed IP's for internal pairing/sharing and grouping in subnet's. This is not something that can always be realised with DHCP.
  • MarcoF said:
    My car hasn't a possibility to set a fixed IP, does that make it a bad car?
    If it wants to integrate into an existing network, then its networking implementation is incomplete, and could be problematic because of this. Bringing the rest of the car into the discussion is irrelevant.

I totaly agree with 1 and 3. Don't care much for 2 as long as it's optional to use DHCP (as default)
    Obviously DHCP should be the default, for ease of configuration, and static IP should be possible to configure afterwards. From 15 years of experience with networking and office equipment, I can state with complete certainty that this is pretty damn standard in the industry. Homey is deviating from this standard, and it should not.

Using static dhcp leases isn't a workaround but it is best practice. No need to maintain documentation of which device uses which IP because that is all documented in your router/dhcp server. No wifi router available today is without dhcp and static leases so why not use it?
    Everybody has their own preferences but the level of control using static IP or static leases is exactly the same where the use of static leases gives you central management. So I see no advantage in using static IP addresses...
    You do things your way, and I'll do things my way, then everyone is happy. In the end the important thing here is that both methods should be possible, but currently they are not. I want the option to use DHCP or a static IP.

If my router goes offline, my local network will still function perfectly, because I manage my important equipment with static IP addresses. If yours goes down, your network will become inoperable as each device will lose its lease and its IP address. Also consider what happens when your router gets an upgrade from your provider, and settings are wiped, or there is an issue and you have to reset your router. Then all your devices are on different IP addresses than before. I want reliability, predictability, and control.

At the core of all of this discussion is this; static IP addressing should be possible from within the Homey settings panel and I will not accept anything less. Opinions are great but the proposed solutions will satisfy everyone. Why oppose it?

• MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited April 2016
    @novaflash ;
    OK the car is irrelevant, what's your point with the cheap printer???? :/ 
  • MarcoF said:
    @novaflash ;
    I'm demonstrating with a real life example how even a shitty 60 euro printer that can join my wifi network has the option to set a static IP address, whereas Homey, an expensive device 5 times the cost, can't even do that. It's wrong and it should be corrected.
  • novaflash said:...static IP addressing should be possible from within the Homey settings panel and I will not accept anything less.
    Though I think you're right as far as it should be possible to use a static ip (hey: feature request for Github) I'm sorry to see you go already.... :|
  • novaflash said:
    MarcoF said:
    @novaflash ;
    I'm demonstrating with a real life example how even a shitty 60 euro printer that can join my wifi network has the option to set a static IP address, whereas Homey, an expensive device 5 times the cost, can't even do that. It's wrong and it should be corrected.
    Ah ok, great point.... Also nice to read your thought about Homey :smiley: 

• novaflash said:...static IP addressing should be possible from within the Homey settings panel and I will not accept anything less.
    Though I think you're right as far as it should be possible to use a static ip (hey: feature request for Github) I'm sorry to see you go already.... :|
    Well, I'm not leaving. I'm staying. I'm fighting for Homey to become the best damn product that's out there for home automation. But we have to face facts; it's not there yet by a long shot. It needs work. One of the things it needs work on, is the ability to set a static IP. Other devices can do it, and so should Homey. I am not leaving because of this, but I am not willing to step down and surrender my opinion because somebody else has the opinion that arranging a static IP via a workaround method is acceptable and that we don't need this option. Opinions are great to have, but if the proposed solution makes it so all parties are happy, then we should work towards that solution. Bickering among one another isn't going to give a clear signal to Athom that this is something that should be implemented.

MarcoF said:
    Ah ok, great point.... 

Thank you, I'm glad I was able to clear that up.
  • [Sarcasme off]
  • novaflash said:
    MarcoF said:
    My car hasn't a possibility to set a fixed IP, does that make it a bad car?
    If it wants to integrate into an existing network, then its networking implementation is incomplete, and could be problematic because of this. Bringing the rest of the car into the discussion is irrelevant.

Obviously DHCP should be the default, for ease of configuration, and static IP should be possible to configure afterwards. From 15 years of experience with networking and office equipment, I can state with complete certainty that this is pretty damn standard in the industry. Homey is deviating from this standard, and it should not.

You do things your way, and I'll do things my way, then everyone is happy. In the end the important thing here is that both methods should be possible, but currently they are not. I want the option to use DHCP or a static IP.

If my router goes offline, my local network will still function perfectly, because I manage my important equipment with static IP addresses. If yours goes down, your network will become inoperable as each device will lose its lease and its IP address. Also consider what happens when your router gets an upgrade from your provider, and settings are wiped, or there is an issue and you have to reset your router. Then all your devices are on different IP addresses than before. I want reliability, predictability, and control.

At the core of all of this discussion is this; static IP addressing should be possible from within the Homey settings panel and I will not accept anything less. Opinions are great but the proposed solutions will satisfy everyone. Why oppose it?

That's a lot of ifs that I, since I use WiFi routers (and that's more then 15 years, I'm an old goat ;) ), I have never encountered.
    I prefer ease of use, no reliance on static IP's: I like to use devices by name and don't care what IP they use.
    However, I agree with you on the core of this discussion but not on your definition of it. It is up to Athom what should be possible or not, not to us. They have lots of other stuff that needs a lot work and, if I were them, this would be waaay on the bottom of my to-do list.
  • That's a lot of ifs that I, since I use WiFi routers (and that's more then 15 years, I'm an old goat ;) ), I have never encountered.
    I prefer ease of use, no reliance on static IP's: I like to use devices by name and don't care what IP they use.
    However, I agree with you on the core of this discussion but not on your definition of it. It is up to Athom what should be possible or not, not to us. They have lots of other stuff that needs a lot work and, if I were them, this would be waaay on the bottom of my to-do list.
    At the bottom of the to-do list, maybe so. It's up to Athom to implement, sure. Is it a good idea to implement it? Definitely.

• Its already possible to give Homey on a fixed IP. So its a bit lost time for Athom to program it into Homey and definitely a feature for a point when all bugs are solved and we have nothing else to do.

Let's wait, see and hope that the can fix Sun rise/set bug which is already more then 2 months issued.
  • MarcoF said:
    Its already possible to give Homey on a fixed IP. So its a bit lost time for Athom to program it into Homey and definitely a feature for a point when all bugs are solved and we have nothing else to do.

Let's wait, see and hope that the can fix Sun rise/set bug which is already more then 2 months issued.
    Well that bug certainly should be much higher on the priority list, I agree. I can wait for the fixed IP functionality.