This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Send ETA via Waze to Homey

keverjeroenkeverjeroen Member
edited February 2016 in Ideas & Suggestions
Hi,

Me and my wife use Waze every day for traveling between home and work (and visa versa). When we go home we send each other the Estimated Time of Arival (ETA), so we know what time the other is home. The ETA is updated (almost) real-time and in Waze you can see the other on the map.

I see Waze has an SDK now, so maybe an app can be made for Homey. It would be great if I can send an ETA to Homey, so he (she) knows exactly what time I'll be home. Homey can turn up the heating, tell the cat that 'het baasje' is almost home and turn on the lights just before I arive.

This looks maybe like a simple geofence, but it is more advanced. Geofencing is static, Waze is realtime.

Waze SDK Blog: http://wazeblogs-en.blogspot.nl/2016/01/waze-announces-transport-sdk.html
Waze SDK: https://www.waze.com/sdk
Waze App: https://www.waze.com/
Send ETA: https://support.google.com/waze/answer/6083090?hl=en

Comments

• If this also possible with ITTT?
  • If this also possible with ITTT?
    If you mean: IFTTT, yes it is.

• Waze doesn't work with IFTTT at the moment.. Homey does..
  • Waze doesn't work with IFTTT at the moment.. Homey does..
    That's what I meant. :)
  • OH MY GOD I WOULD LOVE THIS FUNCTION!!!!
  • I was thinking about it. Now I have a GPS tracker in my car (€ 30) and calculate my destination ( B) ) and ETA's with a nodejs app using the Google Maps API to trigger stuff at home. I want to convert this solution to a Homey App. 
    Never heard of Waze till know, so will look into that. Can Waze determine your destination itself, or do you need to set this manually?
  • @ErikVanDongen ;
    I use Waze several years,  It is like Navigation+ Social-Networking  (Twitter, FB. 4SQ).
    it uses (and generates) real time trafic info and can share your drives with friends it can tweet about your drives.

Waze guesses based on Calendar,  last drives and your location your destination. ( most when I am from home it asks driving  Home?, in the morning Driving to work? and based on Calendar Driving to Apponitment or locations I visit often based on the time.)

My car tweets privately destinations and ETA. that should work if Homey can follow your twitter.
    maybe an IFTTT event from Twitter can trigger a workflow at Homey ?
    I think it will be possible (maybe before Homey runs Firmware 1.0.0  ;-) )
  • Great idea, i'm gonna take a look into it. I have requested access to the sdk but that seems to take some time..
  • I think the SDK isn't  useful here, it is access to the maps afaik. 
    Think you will have to work the other way around, 
    From Driver => Waze App => Share Drive / ETA ( Twitter or? ...) => ???? => Homey
  • fuzzybearfuzzybear Member
    edited February 2016
    I believe someone mentioned a plan for a twitter app for Homey. Maybe you could use this ;)
  • I have already been able to get an destination (home) and an updating ETA, only thing is i need a token of the ride.

I can imagine that not everyone wants to tweet their rides..
    What you guys think? Maybe use email?
  • My car (waze) has a private/protected twitter account. only followers after a approval have access. 
    if set up correct it is as safe / maybe better than unencrypted smtp/pop3 ;-)
    and you can easy approve an IFTTT account to read that twitter account. 
  • Martijn said:
    I have already been able to get an destination (home) and an updating ETA, only thing is i need a token of the ride.

I can imagine that not everyone wants to tweet their rides..
    What you guys think? Maybe use email?
    That's great! I'd also imagine that tweeting every ride is probably not the best idea, security wise. Is there any way you can use the app itself to identify when you set home as a destination and let Homey get this info automatically without having to share the ride?
  • This sounds like the future. When I leave work Homey says "Tim just left work, there's traffic on the A10, his ETA is 18:30, you can start preparing dinner."
  • That was the idea when i started, but not sure that's possible.
    I'm still waiting for the waze SDK, so im gonna start with twitter today.
  • Little status update:
    i am able to read tweets, determin if you're going home and track the ETA.

Whats left?
    - Settings page to authorize homey using your twitter
    - Making triggers for flows (example: if eta < 5 min)

Ideas/input is always welcome
  • Martijn said:
    Little status update:
    i am able to read tweets, determin if you're going home and track the ETA.

Whats left?
    - Settings page to authorize homey using your twitter
    - Making triggers for flows (example: if eta < 5 min)

Ideas/input is always welcome
    First of all, great that you're doing this!

Secondly, maybe if a big shift in ETA occurs (an unexpected traffic jam, for example) as a trigger in the flows? So the wife knows you'll be home x minutes later than expected, when it's happening.
  • Great idea, @KoenMartens !
    I will add that :)
  • I think you're dependent on what status Waze sends. When I use the ETA option to send info to the wife this happens:

1. Wife gets an notification from her Waze app on her phone, telling that I am on my way.
    2. She can open the Waze app and see on the map where I am driving (almost realtime).
    3. When there is a big(!) change in the ETA, my wife is notified again via a notification on her phone.*
    4. When I'm almost home, my wife is notified again via the app.

* I am not sure how much more time the trip must take, before this is triggered. But I see it only happens when there is a big traffic jam.

• @keverjeroen ;
    On this moment I have (still) no access to Waze API, so i'm not able to create some kind of bot you can friend invite and send your route to.
    Besides Waze is able to notify friends, Waze is also able to tweet or email your route / ETA. So for now i'm tracking a twitter account on tweets from Waze that you are on your way home.

I'm hoping to have a first version ready this weekend.
  • I get that, but at what moments does Waze send an ETA update to mail or twitter? At the same moments I mentioned above? Or is it only an initial mail/tweet?

p.s. great that you're working at this! 
  • Waze will not send a 'update' tweet to my knowledge, but after the initial tweet I'm able to track the drive (almost realtime).

I'm making three triggers for now:
    - "ETA found" (don't really know how to name it yet, maybe "Waze drive found", ...);
    - "ETA less than X minutes";
    - "initial ETA changed more than X minutes".

I might add a variable for location later on so you can have a trigger like: "ETA to {location} less than {minutes} minutes"
  • Hey Martijn, was just curious how you were proceeding with the waze app, very willing to test it for you on my homey, using Waze daily as a navigator
  • Count me in as well... Expecting my homey tomorrow, so i'll be able to test as well  :)
  • New to Waze, but very interested B)

• AppieAppie Member
    edited April 2016

hi @keverjeroen could you put your lovely idea also on the public timeline in Trello as currently build by the community? https://trello.com/b/aYBmd9Ru/athom-s-public-timeline-for-homey

• I had the idea, but @Martijn is the one making the app..
  • AppieAppie Member
    Check!