This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Homey doesn't respond to any Infrared

Where is the IR sensor supposed to be?

I try to add an IR device, but none of my remotes are detected. It asks to press a button for 3 seconds or really fast for as long as 3 seconds. Tried everything. Homey is blind.

is there a manager test page where i can see IR sensor data? Or is my Homey broken?

Comments

• Known issue... If you like experimental updates, try 0.8.20, but search the forum for the implications of taking experimental updates!
  • I've updated to 0.8.20. It does recognize most of the signals now when adding a device. 
    Using a button as trigger though doesn't work. Still a known issue?
  • on 0.8.20 I can manual add my remote for my curtains but when I add then to flow they doesn't seem to work
  • I've received my Homey this week, it runs on 0.8.29,  it does not recognize the remote of the Sony TV and arcadyan receiver (KPN). Manually adding does also not recognize all buttons.  Some buttons (power, volume up/down) are detected but don't work in the flow. No device is turned on or volume is set.

So IR still a known issue?

• I've got the same issues as mentioned by AntoineOberije. I've got a Sony Remote type RM-ED060. Wasn't recognized automatically. Tried to look it up in the database, but no results. Tried learning the buttons 1 by 1, but some buttons couldn't be learned somehow. I just tried 1 button (the Power button) and use it in a workflow, but the TV doesn't react when the flow is started. Tried the same steps with my Pioneer remote for the receiver, but got the same results there. No reaction on IR.
  • Try turning off the LED ring, with some remotes it causes enough interference to no longer detect incoming IR signals (unless you hold the remote right in front of your Homey).

Something to do with carrier signals etc. See https://github.com/athombv/homey/issues/394.
  • I created a "bigbang" flow this morning through infrared. I did set the led-ring to 0% before I started...
    https://forum.athom.com/discussion/comment/16353/#Comment_16353

• It looks like the LED-ring is a very big pain in the *** when it comes to IR .....

But Athom is also working on this big issue.....
  • I just retested how it behaves with the led-ring on. There's no difference, the IR-flows (sending) work as expected.
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited April 2016
    I just retested how it behaves with the led-ring on. There's no difference, the IR-flows (sending) work as expected.
    And receiving with LED-ring on?
    Homey can only respond on incoming IR signals and that's where this topic is about.
  • bvdbosbvdbos Member
    edited April 2016
    No problem while downloading an extra voice (blue) or when Homey is busy (orange) but it look like white does give some disturbance in receiving the signal... Distance from remote to Homey is 1,5-2 meter, homey stands above the tv and the remote so it can send and receive signals from the lower half.
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited April 2016
    Athom confirmed problems/interference of the LED-ring in relation to the IR receivers. 
    Very curious on how the are going to solve this.... 

2 Weeks ago i found a Homey "in een verdomhoekje" of our local MM and I was surprised of the placement of the IR leds, the rectangle squares, that in relation to the led-ring and the missing of a "light shield" beneath the LED-ring. The led-ring is very bright and that's "asking" for problems with IR receivers a couple of mm below AND behind it.
  • MarcoWijkMarcoWijk Member
    edited April 2016
    @Athom I decided to test the IR after leaving it alone  a few months since the pairing didn't work etc etc. Now in .29 it's been improved, far way better the on january the 5th , but still doesn't work that good. 

Although it is not really scientific benchmarking, I used my old school wii remote to test. In the wii setup u can calibrate your remote for detecting the IR beam. Although not very scientific, i figured as it detects and SHOWS the IR light it receives, so it tried it on Homey.

EDIT---the ledring is off---

First i created a flow which emitted a continous IR signal. Then I pointed my remote at it. Up close i so homeys shape in IR-dots, so it worked. A meter away i still got homeys shape faintly. At aprox 1.5 meters just a small dot and I had to point the remote very accuratly. 

My findings are that the IR-ring is too narrow and most importantly the IR-beam seems very weak for reaching a device in a normal room. I finally got it to trigger my tv (power on/off) but i almost needed a laser to pin-point the IR.

I paired my philips TV with a automatic remote search, my ziggo horizon however i paired manually (saved my old horizon IR remote). Sadly though the last remote has some bugs. I had to redo the pairing a few times, for after a while the box wasn't reacting to the signals anymore. I'm not sure if it's homey lacking to save it correctly or a Horizon thingy...

Anyway, I hope Athom can boost the IR signal and find a way to broaden the beam (hoping it's not a hardware sollution)

PS. Anyone working on a Horizon Ziggo remote app?
  • Kevin010 said:
    Where is the IR sensor supposed to be?

I try to add an IR device, but none of my remotes are detected. It asks to press a button for 3 seconds or really fast for as long as 3 seconds. Tried everything. Homey is blind.

is there a manager test page where i can see IR sensor data? Or is my Homey broken?
    @Kevin010 i spotted three.
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited April 2016
    Although it's not scientific, is real world usage  :)

The IR sensors are beneath the LEDring "behind" the small square holes.
  • EdTstEdTst Member
    IR hardly works. Only if you have a remote that is in the database. Hopefully Athom will fix this soon.
  • Maybe giveing Homey some kind of glasses, will boost the range. A tiny sphere lens which braodens the beam? My philips remote has one, and it shows up massive on my wii-test. 
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited April 2016
    If i remember right, the 3 IR Leds should be so powerfull that a signal/beam from Homey bounces through the room. But it looks like that not happening? 

This afternoon we were at MM (for a new Fryer), again took a look at Homey and the displayed model still gives me the idea the IR-trancievers are "not" properly placed behind the holes. Which can explain the poor control of thirdparty devices.
    But it my opinion about a displayed Homey....
  • EdTst said:
    IR hardly works. Only if you have a remote that is in the database. Hopefully Athom will fix this soon.
    My remotes aren't in the database and do work so it's not a general problem. Which remote do you have? Did you learn the remote to Homey? Does sending work? Does receiving key-presses work?
  • EdTstEdTst Member
    EdTst said:
    My remotes aren't in the database and do work so it's not a general problem. Which remote do you have? Did you learn the remote to Homey? Does sending work? Does receiving key-presses work?

I have quite a number. I tried learning them to homey, but Homey cuts off the signal sent. Athom is looking into that.
  • MarcoF said:
    If i remember right, the 3 IR Leds should be so powerfull that a signal/beam from Homey bounces through the room. But it looks like that not happening? 

This afternoon we were at MM (for a new Fryer), again took a look at Homey and the displayed model still gives me the idea the IR-trancievers are "not" properly placed behind the holes. Which can explain the poor control of thirdparty devices.
    But it my opinion about a displayed Homey....
    Hmm... i noticed it too on my homey. I can see them but they look  a bit off...
  • try to check the ir by looking troug your telephone camera.
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited April 2016
    try to check the ir by looking troug your telephone camera.
    Nice one and try/do it in a completely dark room.
    Did that few years ago to test some IR-heads for reading heatmeters for the heatpump and CH installation.

Could somebody shoot some highres pics of the IR holes/transcievers?
  • I've also some issues with IR. My Phillips Fidelio remote IR signals are copied fine, but Homey doesn't recognize the IR signals from my LG TV remote and my KPN remote. 
  • As for the KPN-remote (assuming it's the same with xs4all) I did get Homey to recognize some buttons yesterday. Aim carefully and keep a button pressed for some seconds. The numbers were no problem (except for my tv jumping channels), the OK-button is more difficult it seems.
  • SommoSommo Member
    edited April 2016
    and the distance between homey and remote? mine can't apprend nothing
  • I'm about 1,5-2 meters away from Homey. Also, Homey is standing above me so any signal is landing on the lower half (beneath the led-ring).
  • I experienced better infrared range when the led ring is off but still it sometimes misses or overpresses some buttons. Hitting any button 1 time never works for most buttons, about 3 or 4 times gives 1 or 2 button clicks.

TV brand: LG

• genotixgenotix Member
    Hi Guys,

How far are you with addressing this issue?
    I'd really like to use both my Arcadyan set-top box and TV with Homey.
  • A few months later...
    Any news?