This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

New Homey won't listen, bad boy

2»

Comments

• ...then I get the white ring, which seems the same as giving me the finger...
    The white ring is Homey deciding if it's going to do what you said.  When you get the multicolor ring without it doing something, that's when it's giving you the finger  :p
    Same problem here by the way  :/
  • tunftunf Member
    edited April 2016
    Also the same issue here, out of the box, installed the update, dutch language, dutch voice, led ring white, listening but no response whatsovever.
    Update:
    removed all other languages and after a reboot much better now.
  • I get the feeling Athom's speech-server might be overloaded with processing false positives... I set Homey to language Dutch and created a flow which increments a variable. With the radio on Homey seems to be hearing a lot (orange pulsing ring) and seems to be queering heard sound a lot (white rotating ring). However these sounds seem to get dropped by Athom. This is good but seems to be overkill?

With the radio on, Homey doesn't understand "lampen aan" etc. With the radio off it does understand "lampen aan", "lampen uit" etc with almost no problem.
  • I get the feeling Athom's speech-server might be overloaded with processing false positives... I set Homey to language Dutch and created a flow which increments a variable. With the radio on Homey seems to be hearing a lot (orange pulsing ring) and seems to be queering heard sound a lot (white rotating ring). However these sounds seem to get dropped by Athom. This is good but seems to be overkill?
    This is my uneducated guess as well. My Homey voice recognition used to work pretty well but since the new Homeys where send all I'm getting is a white ring that keeps spinning and eventually does not process my speech to text. A bit worrying as more and more Homeys will be released.
  • MarkSwiftMarkSwift Member
    edited April 2016
    I'm from the UK, so it should understand me. Well, you'd think so :)

This is trying a simple "Watch Transformers". I've given up for now until things improve.

http://s9.postimg.org/cch1fl8xb/Screen_Shot_2016_04_07_at_23_04_52.png
  • MarkSwift said:
    I'm from the UK, so it should understand me. Well, you'd think so :)

This is trying a simple "Watch Transformers". I've given up for now until things improve.

http://s9.postimg.org/cch1fl8xb/Screen_Shot_2016_04_07_at_23_04_52.png
    Hmm something wrong with your link. Try this http://s9.postimg.org/cch1fl8xb/Screen_Shot_2016_04_07_at_23_04_52.png
  • The feedback I got while practising oke homey is really bullsh*t. It was too loud or even when the envirnoment was so quiet you could hear a candle burning it said "too much background noice". In real live i have to speak to homey very loud! Otherwhise it does not understand me.

So the training feedback is just stupid, speak up loud (I'm sometimes affraid to wake up my kids when they're in bed!
  • A few days ago I was happy to receive my homey. It looks great and I am able to turn on and off all my lights (klik-aan-klik-uit) using the 'standard' commands. New commands are almost impossible: The speech commands urgently need improvement. The results on http:///manager/speech-input/ are by far not similar to what I tried to say.
    For the time being it would be nice to have a list of commands that do work.
  • I am never able to pass the voice training. Too loud, to much noise (in a quiet room), articulate better etc.

For now it's completely not working.
  • I haven't even tried it, Homey is listening just fine without it. Language is set to Dutch, and Homey responds to me as well as my GF. :smile:
  • I am never able to pass the voice training. Too loud, to much noise (in a quiet room), articulate better etc.

Try ok HOMEY learning from 1 meter distance, for me it works.

Try ok HOMEY learning from 1 meter distance, for me it works.
    Don´t try to whisper when Homey says it´s too loud. Just be stubborn and talk normal volume...

Same here.

Also, when checking the speech-input, 90% of the times Homey understands something completely different from what I said. And I dare to say my English is better than the average Dutchmen... The "best" example of this failure was when something like the following happened:

ME: "turn on the lights in the dining room"
    Homey understood: "three hundred sixty nine"
  • posthokposthok Member
    edited April 2016
    did you try to change the language to dutch and give it another try?
    Maybe it's better this time?
    Worstcase scenario homey says "drie honderd negenenzestig"

• HappyHappy Member
    Dutch language gives me very poor results as well. If I'm not in an ideal position (+/- 2m in front, complete silence) Homey hardly recognises any command. http://<homey-ip>/manager/speech-input/  is quite handy in that regard. Many commands seem te be ignored alltogether (although the white led-ring suggests otherwise) because nothing shows up unless I get close to ideal position.
  • Happy said:
    Many commands seem te be ignored alltogether (although the white led-ring suggests otherwise) because nothing shows up unless I get close to ideal position.
    White led ring means your speech is being processed. If after that nothing happens (or appears in speech-input) it means nothing usable was  detected. 
  • Today i moved Homey from the living room to my office, and speech is 1000% better!! Before with the question " what is the time" it would only get "s t e". now it recognizes the whole sentence, but indeed sometimes times-out after the white ring.

I am also able to finish the calibration in the first try, before i couldnt get anything.
    Think the acoustics of a room influence the result in a bad bad way......

• Same here. No speech recognized at all!
  • RocodamelsheRocodamelshe Member
    edited April 2016
    Try to skip the voice training. Did not do the training part and Homey listens to every1 in tha house so far. 
    Mesa at 99% recognision, no matter what the distance is. Even from outside in the garden Homey reacts!
    On 29 Dutch.
  • It's really bad. Girlfriend and me just sat down and tried. We fired at least 100 commands, probably 150. We got exactly 2 responses. Half the time the okay homey isn't even registered. Speech page shows tons of nonsense, often not even close to what we said. 

Then again, while we were talkig to eachother (specifically i tried defending why i spent 300 euros on this), homey triggered every few seconds, and even once mumbled something about "media". So technically it triggered 3 times ...

She did however agree that it is pretty and shiny. :smile:  Running 8.30 in english mode.
  • Did you talk english to each other?
  • Nope. But that accidental activate is not the problem. The 98% ignore/misunderstand rate when asking for time/date/loveyou/hateyou is the problem.

I'll try changing language to dutch tomorrow, hopefully it will understand me then.
  • novaflashnovaflash Member
    edited April 2016
    The main trick I found to get through the voice training is that your voice has to follow a very regular pattern that is timed just right. If I say it too fast or too slow it will not 'get' me. With pain and trouble I found out that trick and trained it successfully. Now, I have to say, it does recognition extremely well, even if I have music playing in the background.

I wanted Homey to say "What?" when I said "OK Homey", or to at least give me some sort of sound to let me know it has started listening. Regrettably, that is completely impossible with Homey as it will just stop listening after it has said anything or played any sound whatsoever, and when I opened an issue about this they just closed it, saying it was intended behavior. This can't possibly be intended behavior but whatever. (https://github.com/athombv/homey/issues/468)
  • I'm gonna take my Homey to

Gratis Hoortest Dagen bij Schoonenberg

Maybe they can help me...?! ;)

• The first 2 days i got homey, the voice worked very well! today homey understand almost nothing anymore.

Ok Homey is working about 80% right, after that nothing, even not Time, Date, how are you, en so on.

Was there a version update?

• I am looking in the Speech controller but nothing even shows up when I try talking to Homey, even though it does recognize me saying "Ok homey" because the LED ring then turns orange instaed of rainbow. When I have given a command the ring then turns white, and keeps spinning around for a while without anything happening.

Also, when I type in something in the speach command nothing happens with Homey as well...
  • Speech training works well for me. I need about 7 tries to get the 5 green rings. The "Ok Homey" trigger has also a very high success rate of about 80-90%.
    However, speech recognition does work really bad. I get quite high success rates (~60%)for some commands like "What time is it", "I love you" and "I hate you", but all for all other commands the speech manager shows nonsense. In contrast the google speech recognition on my smartphone is far more advanced and has something like 98% success rate.

@Emile There is only limited number of expected commands. Wouldn't it be possible to give these commands to the speech recognition and let it guess what command was said?
  • TangaiTangai Member
    edited April 2016
    Reset your Homey mate, and there you goo
  • Homey has lot problems with Dutch words: lamp, licht, gang.
    "Ik ga weg" and "Ik ben weer thuis" works flawlessly.

• ModBreak:
    This post / discussion is deprecated and therefore closed.
    Please search the forum for a recent discusstion. 
    For questions or if someone disagrees, please contact me or one of the Community moderators.

This discussion has been closed.