This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Homey unable to connect to wifi

1) Plug in Homey, wait for audio instructions
2) Connect laptop to wifi
3) goto setup.athom.com (In Chrome)
4) connect laptop to homey wifi (HomeySetup)
5) List if wireless networks detected shown in Chrome
6) Select my wifi network, enter password.
After a few minutes audio stating that Homey could not connect to that wifi network.

Wifi Router is a Virgin Super Hub VMDG480 with firmware V2.39.02
Wifi is WPA2-PSK[AES], Cannel Auto (Operating on 6+10)
Tried 2.4GHz and 5Ghz

Comments

• Same issue here.

Wifi Access point is a HP M220. I also tried 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

I also tried setting up with an Android AP and Mac OSX AP to rule out the accesspoint. However, none of them worked.

I opened a tickets as well: https://github.com/athombv/homey/issues/427
  • I've also tried an Android AP (HTC M8), no luck  :'(
  • I tried one last time before going to bed - it connected! Maybe server issues?
  • I had problems as well. I made a mistake with my password and couldn't connect afterwards. Unplugged, waited a bit and tried again. After a while it finally connected.
  • OskarOskar Member
    I also received my homey this week and want to share my experience, as it feels there are some points for improvement before releasing Homey for real.

I started with the normal process of getting Homey connected to my WIFI network, from my iPad as the easiest accessible device in my house. First thing I encountered is that the WIFI password was typed in wrong, after doing it again I spotted that the keyboard went with caps-on for the first character, somewhat unusual. Anyway finally I got that sorted.

Next I could not connect to my WFI network. After 5 atempts and further research on the forum, I removed OpenDNS severs and went back to my standard DNS settings (from the provider, not Google's). It worked. I think this is rather strange, as I had no filtering active at the time, and no issues with any other device in the past.

Lastly, I checked the IP address on my Fritzbox, and surprisingly Homey's IP address was the same as a the for my printer (a fixed address, although turned off at the time). I now had two devices with the same IP address in my network, and changing it in Homey seems to not be possible either. In the end I changed the IP address of my printer. Now it all works.

All in all I think some more work needed to make the network setup process little more robust, and consider options for some settings to be changed after the setup.

I'll just add that I like what I've been able to do so far, after this all was sorted.
  • Oskar said:
    I also received my homey this week and want to share my experience, as it feels there are some points for improvement before releasing Homey for real.

I started with the normal process of getting Homey connected to my WIFI network, from my iPad as the easiest accessible device in my house. .......
    Did you look at this page? https://forum.athom.com/discussion/528/received-your-homey-getting-started-guide/p1

The documentation isn't completely ready yet, but here it clearly says that you should use Google Chrome and as we all know Google Chrome on an iPad isn't Google Chrome. I agree with you that it should work on an iPad when Homey goes retail, but we are definitely not there yet.

The DNS and IP issues should be taken care of. 

• Here it all went without a glitch... Connected to my 2.4 GHz WiFi. Didn't detect my 5 GHz one though.
  • @Oskar regarding the duplicate IP address; Homey does not take an address, it requests one from you DHCP server and the DHCP server decides which is given to the requesting device.

If your printer had the same IP address I wonder, did you manualy input it its configuration and was it an address outside the DHCP scope?

• aloftaloft Member
    PimBliek said:
    Here it all went without a glitch... Connected to my 2.4 GHz WiFi. Didn't detect my 5 GHz one though.

Homey doesn't have a 5Ghz wifi chip.  Which is too bad, as 5 Ghz is much more stable than the overcrowded 2.4Ghz spectrum
  • OskarOskar Member

@Oskar regarding the duplicate IP address; Homey does not take an address, it requests one from you DHCP server and the DHCP server decides which is given to the requesting device.

If your printer had the same IP address I wonder, did you manualy input it its configuration and was it an address outside the DHCP scope?

It was not an address outside DHCP range, but it was still one allocated and TTL not passed, so should not matter. Even more so, when my printer turned on with active IP address it still allowed homey to use it when I started it afterwards. I may not have been fully in line the theoretical definitions of IP addresses (nor will many other people is my guess), and it never happened with any other device in my network; they always skipped that specific address.
  • tunftunf Member
    I also had this problem but after a couple of reboots and try's it worked finally.
  • The reach of 5ghz is also much shorter. 
  • edited April 2016
    Hi all,

I've read through the conversation and I'm experiencing similar issues. I've now tried at least 30 times to connect to my wifi router (Asus RT-AC68U), on both 2.4 and 5GHz range, but it still doesn't work. I always briefly see the Homey on my router (for around 5 seconds) as DHCP client with a IP address assigned, but it disappears shortly after that. There are no special characters in my password, so that hopefully shouldn't be the issue. I'm also using the lastest version of Google Chrome, and I've also tried rebooting the Homey multiple times. I've never had problems with my router before ... I've also tried creating separate 2.4 GHz Wifis with simple lowercase passwords.

I'm out of ideas, if anyone has ideas on what else I could try I'd be very happy.

Thanks!
  • If u was reading close u would have known that Homey has no 5 G?
  • Yes, I read that, I tried on separate 2.4 GHz networks multiple times.
  • Hi all,

I've read through the conversation and I'm experiencing similar issues. I've now tried at least 30 times to connect to my wifi router (Asus RT-AC68U), on both 2.4 and 5GHz range, but it still doesn't work. I always briefly see the Homey on my router (for around 5 seconds) as DHCP client with a IP address assigned, but it disappears shortly after that. There are no special characters in my password, so that hopefully shouldn't be the issue. I'm also using the lastest version of Google Chrome, and I've also tried rebooting the Homey multiple times. I've never had problems with my router before ... I've also tried creating separate 2.4 GHz Wifis with simple lowercase passwords.

I'm out of ideas, if anyone has ideas on what else I could try I'd be very happy.

Thanks!
    If Homey gets an IP address the passphrase isn't an issue.
  • Hi,

Yes, that's true actually. So I've been working the whole night to get this running, and I might have found the actual issue: my ISP recently switched to IPv6 - DS-Lite unfortunately - so it might be that the responses from outside never actually reaches the Homey. I've now ordered them to switch me back to an IPv4 address, I'll let you know whether that works out and if that caused the issue. Is the homey IPv6 capable just in case I need to entirely switch to IPv6?
  • EternityEternity Member
    edited April 2016
    Received my Homey today and eagerly plugged it in. Can't connect to wifi... bummer!

What I have done:
    - plugged it in
    - found the wifi network HomeySetup
    - connected my phone to that network, using Chrome
    - started the setup wizard in Chrome
    - found my network (only the 2.4 GHz - no problem with me)
    - filled in the password to connect (saw that the first entry is Caps. I have done it correctly!)
    - Homey tries to connect
    - reports in is taking exceptionally long
    - reports it can't establish a connection "try again later..."

Did so. Several times.
    Edited my wifi networks name (no uppercast). Still no connection
    Powered down the Homey, tried again. No success.
    Changed the SSID; finds the new name. Can't connect to wifi
    Changed the password; Can't connect to wifi

What can I do now????

• JaxcJaxc Member

Keep on trying, I had thesame problem, works best when u use a laptop (macbook) with chrome.

Works better then a phone...

Try unplugging homey, reboot and try to connect again.

You will prevail

• @JurgenHuijbregts ;

Thanks for your feedback. Tried to do the same, but this time using mu Mac; no luck. 
    Tried the same with a tablet. No luck.

Mind you; these devices connect to the 2,4 Ghz wifi network without any issues. I can flip between the " home"  wifi and the homeyNetwork SSID without any problems. It is 'just'  that after entering my password, I get the " please wait" screen....and a time out.

I have tried
     for 2 hours now. I am fed up...
  • JaxcJaxc Member

Try giving youre homey a reboot by putting it upside down, until the count down is done? Does that help?? I use a apple airport extreme, @2,4 ghz and also had difficultys trying to get homey up and running, but somehow i did something that made it working ...

• If I flip the Homey upside down, should I hear a countdown??? Mine makes no sound.
  • I had to turn 5 ghz on to make it work :-s
  • Eternity said:
    If I flip the Homey upside down, should I hear a countdown??? Mine makes no sound.
    Keep it up side down until the RED ring is fully red (all segments)... (approximately 15 seconds).
    I also had cases where Homey remained silent... Then turn in right side up and Homey will announce the reset
  • Can't get Homey in recovery mode either..... grrrrrr

Power on, wait till I hear the voice to go to setup.atom.com
    Hold the Homey uside down. Ring tuns red (circular movement). Never stays red...
    Never hear a count down.

Tried this procedure after power on and waiting 10 second, 20 seconds, 30 seconds

D.O.A.?

• @Eternity If you have not connected Homey to a Wifi network (and thus connected via my.athom.com), I think it would not make sense to reset your Homey; no settings / data that needs to be removed...

What type of router are you trying to connect to?
    Are you able to connect to another wifi network (e.g. neighbours / hotspot)?

Otherwise contact support@athom.com
  • What I've detected is that upon wifisetup connect phase it annouces itself as "localhost" when it request an IP address from your DHCP server on your wifi router. My asus-rtr says nope not allowed and drops it.
    What I did is tracked the MAC address of the wifi adapter of Homey and reserved an IP address out of the DHCP address pool. Then you go through the setup.athom.com process again, register your homey to your network and it will get the IPaddress and connect.

• My router is a Netgear Nighthawk R7000
  • novaflashnovaflash Member
    edited April 2016
    I am using a Ubiquiti Unifi UAP professional wifi access point, 2 of them in fact, and even with the most basic settings Homey refuses to connect. Every other device I've ever had here can connect normally. Homey cannot, sadly. I will attempt to do some resets and trying it over and over again.

Update:
    I attempted to 'reset' the Homey by holding it upside down. Got absolutely zero response out of it, but, perhaps I just don't know what is supposed to happen. In any case, I gave it a good 20 seconds, then put it upright. Waited a bit.. nothing happened. Then I just pulled the plug, waited 5 seconds, plugged it back in, tried the whole procedure again, and now it was able to connect successfully.
  • Same problem here. No service on a Draytek 2760. Even got the Wifi acces open and its not connecting.

:(