This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Virtual IR Remote

Is it possible to add a Virtual remote to Homey without having the physical remote?
For example we have a Roomba vac, but don't have the remote and It would be great to control the Roomba by IR (yes yes Roomba is also equipped with a WiFi plate)

But why IR if you have WiFi plate?
Because it can :mrgreen: 

Comments

• EmileEmile Administrator, Athom
    Yep! 
  • OK! Nice!!

But why would people pair IR remotes if the know the remote type? It should be easier to select a remote (sony RMT-TX100D) and let Homey do her magical things?!
  • Qx5Qx5 Member
    Because the type of remote is not always listed on the remote itself and the remote database is far from complete :smile: 

• :smile: 
    That's not my point/question.

For example;
    • I have a Roomba, 
    • I known there's a remote for the Roomba, 
    • I don't have the remote
    • I known the Roomba remote is in Homey's DB(no idea if its really in the DB, but lets assume it is)
    Can I, in this case, just select the remote from a menu and control my Roomba?

OR do i really need the remote so Homey can recognize it before i can use it?
  • Well, I just tried, when you want to add a device and choose infrared you are given two options: Automatic (Homey willtry to recognize the buttons you press) and Manual (Homey will copy the signals of buttons on your remote)

A third option, Choose (Choose your remote form our database by its type/part number) would be a very nice option to have, but it's not available (yet?)

• @DaneeDeKruyff thanx! 

@Emile is @DaneeDeKruyff missing something or is this feature/idea not (yet) implemented?
  • Great suggestion though, and probably not much work to add for the developers of Athom. 
  • Well, I just tried, when you want to add a device and choose infrared you are given two options: Automatic (Homey willtry to recognize the buttons you press) and Manual (Homey will copy the signals of buttons on your remote)

A third option, Choose (Choose your remote form our database by its type/part number) would be a very nice option to have, but it's not available (yet?)

Maybe I should've clarified it, but by 'Automatic' we really mean using our database. You can still do a text search within the database in that screen right there, but Homey also tries to detect received IR signals and do a lookup for them in our database.

Manual is literally Homey copying the signals from an existing remote.
  • hmmm maybe someone can make some screenshots to clear some things?!
  • Just add a device, select IR, pick the automatic option and type roomba in the search field :) 
    Just tried it, roomba isn't found, but maybe you need to know the model of the remote... 
  • So it is possible to search for a remote?
    A lot of brands use the same remotes where remotes are compatible with multiple devices and devices can be controlled by different remotes. 

Is it possible to search for a brand? 

I ask this because recently i read somebody tried to pair sony's RMT-TX100D, but the device could not be found.
    But if somebody can search for a remote by brand/type then a lot of issues can be prevented or pinpointed.

• Qx5Qx5 Member
    Yes it is! But only brand and remote type. It's not directly connected to device types/series.
  • @superice Thank you, form the description it was not clear to me that the option Automatic included a search in the database based on text input. Maybe the description can be altered to make it more clear.

@Marcof above is the result of a search, searching on iRobot or Roomba returns nothing unfortunatly.

• Great feature!
    Hopefully Roomba will be added to the database.

Maybe this needs some more attention especially when homey isn't recognizing one or more remotes.
    The community and/or Athom can ask the user to look for a model/type of the remote so (s)he can look it up in the DB.
    (a lot of remotes can be found through google->image search)
  • I am also interested in using iRobot Roomba IR functionality. Are there plans for adding Roomba IR codes to the database; or an option to manually add IR codes?

Would be really great if this can be done without expensive Wifi add-on.
  • SommoSommo Member
    hope that the ir database will be implemented, till now there are few device, and yes if i can add an ir remote, without have to pass throught the process could be very usefull
  • SommoSommo Member
    @Emile , any news about IR DB? and what about fixing ir learning trouble? Thank you!
  • RozzRozz Member
    I am also having trouble learning an ir-remote signal.
    It is a KPN Glasvezel iTV power-on/off
  • Also interested in this option. I have a 530 Roomba with the original remote. Adding the Roomba as an IR device by learning it the 'clean' button, results in a signal that's being picked up by Homey.
    however creating a flow and running it, end up with...nothing. The kronor doesn't respond. So there's probably something in the signal,that Homey cant't reproduce?

anyway...+1 for adding IR support for iRobot series 500 and beyond.
  • leadsratingleadsrating Member
    edited June 2017
    I own the Roomba 860 but can't pair it with IR. Anyone had any success in the past?