This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Homey back in the box till 2016/09/01

This is a hard decision to make but the way Athom works it is for me the only logical one.
To helping out finding bugs you have to be willing to use the experimental firmware.
That is for me becoming a problem.
One of the so called stable versions bricked my Homey and was there for 10 days off-line.
A second one, that the stable status never deserved, give me the 433 problem.
This added, till today Monday, 25 days off-line.

Because there is be no stable versions for weeks to expected, the total day’s off-line reaches on Easter Sunday the 41 days.
That is 50% from the time that I have my Homey, yes 50%.

Why till 1 September?
In the summer the Athom team would be smaller because of the holidays so less stable versions to expected.
Why not looking for bugs in the stable versions?
If Athom had follow the normal rules, I had still version 0.8.17.  A good one for me.
When I had found I bug than I received an answer like: “We already are in experimental versions 0.8.24 so it is useless to report.”

That leave me no other choose to step back and wait.
There is a risk that my Homey will not upgrade the stable version of 1 September because of changes in the updater.
That is a problem we deal then.

Following the form and github is not really useful for me or Athom so I log-off on both on Wednesday round 20:00.

Lots of success for you all.

Comments

• tunftunf Member
    @TheoDeKoning See you when you get back. Thanks and lets all hope it has the status you would like it to have.
  • Seems you have bad luck, my Homey has been a pretty decent companion for me since the end of Febuary. It's gonna be interesting if you can actually hold up to your promise.
  • I think it would be more interesting to see if anyone here steps up and helps @TheoDeKoning getting his homey in a for him usable state. He payed more then regular backers to help out in the first batch and seems to be left in the cold....
  • Fire69Fire69 Member
    edited March 2016
    I think it would be more interesting to see if anyone here steps up and helps @TheoDeKoning getting his homey in a for him usable state. He payed more then regular backers to help out in the first batch and seems to be left in the cold....
    What can we do for Theo?
    I think he already got great help before, because his Homey was bricked with one of the previous updates.
    Now, he just doesn't want to upgrade out of fear this happens again (which is completely understandable of course).
    But other than doing a full reset and upgrading to .24, there isn't much extra that can be done...
  • JaxcJaxc Member
    Well i would love to help TheoDeKoning to revive his Homey, yust give me a PM
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited March 2016
    If I understand Theo's post right, its not a direct problem with his Homey. I believe he lost faith in the update path and he don't want to update because "Stable" are "just" older Beta release with the same problems and/or shortcomings. And therefore updating is not really updating.

I also want to help Theo.... but I think thats not possible because i can't fix a "crashing"/Oops problem/non responsive/not reachable Homey and or a not functioning protocol....  that should be fixed by Athom.

• Thank for the reactions.

@Phuturist
    Wasting €399 is not my style. So, if Athom and I are still there, it would be OK.

What Athom really have to do, for every one, is making it possible to go simple back to the last stable version.
    It is an investment that they have to make anyhow for later.
    If version 1.2.03 is failing for some reason you want to go back to 1.2.02.

For now the user report a bug that's freeze or blocking there Homey but can go back to the last stable in waiting of bug repair.
    For me is that the 0.8.17 the one after the unbricking.
    There was not much what Homey could do but at least something, what is more then now with the 433 bug.

Looking every month to see if there is a really stable versions is a possibility that I can take with me now.

• Still: 0.8.24 is much stable then 0.8.17 (also for 433 but afaik for all parts), it just has an "experimental" tag on it...
  • Not for me. Speech stutters horribly, Homey locks up when trying to reboot, voice is not recognized at all,... 
  • @BasVanDenBosch ; and  @Fire69

This is now typically for what I feel about the hole situation. Things that have working don't any more.
    Bugs, like the sun events fixed in .07, but still not working right.
    When you give out your idea's then it is not-don to do so. 

The way Athom works is blowing my mind. Therefore a little time away from this all is good for my health. 
  • Fire69 said:
    Not for me. Speech stutters horribly, Homey locks up when trying to reboot, voice is not recognized at all,... 
    A complete reset fixed all the voice-related stuff for me but you already know that :smile:  I can imagine you don't want to reset but imho it's worthwhile...
  • Still: 0.8.24 is much stable then 0.8.17 (also for 433 but afaik for all parts), it just has an "experimental" tag on it...
    For me neither, 0.8.24 randomly disconnects and zwave stability is pretty bad. Crashes sometimes and zwave devices time out. 0.8.22 was working better for me outside the voice issue. But I'm less frustrated about it compared to others as I have other expectations from the beginning (being a kickstarter and software development is just tough in general).

• The way Athom works is blowing my mind. Therefore a little time away from this all is good for my health. 
    In my opinion, it might be good for you to put Homey away for 2 months. In 2 months the software will be far progressed and your annoyances with the current version will be completely gone.
    Play with Homey with a fresh mindset by then!

As a developer, I know that sometimes when you try to fix a hard part of the code and rewrite a large part of that, new problems will arise. I believe Athom is on top of it, just need to go on as they do now and we all just have to be a little more patient.
  • ZagatoZagato Member
    edited March 2016
    I have been working within software development environments for years within the industrial automation and from my experience, the way Athom works makes no big difference to other companies or methods. Of course, as user you want the product to be stable and up and running as soon as possible but building software as versatile as the Homey from scratch is very complicated and with early birds, backers and other enthusiasts anxiously awaiting the product and every new release there will always be people who are disappointed. 
    Solving the stability issues in the core OS and not developing new features will disappoint users who are waiting for new features, i.e. z-wave or the IR. Within a large development team, you might have people working on different platforms. One for stability, one (experimental) new features. However, in the phase of the development of Homey I think there is not much use for this since almost everybody wants the stability as well as the new features. So all those people would use the experimental platform anyway with all the side effects that come along with that.
    Nevertheless, I can understand the point of view of Theo. It seems that for him there is no beneficial use of Homey foreseen in the near future so he puts it away and waits until a more stable release is available. I disagree that more bugs are to be expected during summer because of holidays or less availability of people. If the development process is correctly in place, the development could (but doesn't have to be) slow down but would not have any setbacks on the quality.
    I also do think a possibility to go back to older releases would be much appreciated. For one user, one specific version works better than for another user. Users can determine for themselves which one is the best version so far, but that version will usually not be fully supported in terms of bug-fixing and reliability. If users need to have bugs fixed, they need to upgrade again.
  • Thanks again for the support and inside information from a developer point of view.
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited March 2016
    Nevertheless its a fact that a lot of Homeys have a lot of stability problems, hopefully that's going to change in the near future. Also new features are useless if homey crashes often, stability should be priority number 1.
  • My Homey only crashed once, when the robot vacuum cleaner moved over the wire and knocked Homey off the table
  • just a regular backer, but when i may receive my Homey i will also wait for a stable release (v1.0 +1).
     i want the Z-wave to be stable and then i will connect it as a secondary controller to my Vera.

and another main reason is just not enough time.
  • Before I sign of this evening here, I have to clear out something.

That there "more bugs are to be expected during summer because of holidays or less availability of people" I never said.
    In this line:
    "In the summer the Athom team would be smaller because of the holidays so less stable versions to expected."
    I was trying to say that instead of an experimental version in 1 week this can be then 2 or 3 weeks.
    Therefore a stable version is then even lesser to expected and based my 1 September date on it.

Now that is out of the way the last thing to say is:

See you later alligator, after a while crocodile.

• As he signed off till like September we can close this right?
    /topic closed
  • not this road again.....

Its a off-topic post, there no need to react :smile: 

Closing topics is not the or a solution.

And asking for it is also very annoying. (Referee he needs a red card!! :neutral:  )

• Find 1 positive post and I agree.
    Offtopic post for complaining about all there is, come on!
    Dont think his problems are Offtopic worth as he stated in several topics already.
  • @TheoDeKoning: can I borrow your Homey till mijne arrives? ;)
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited March 2016
    @Rocodamelshe ;
    It wasn't mine choice to open/move this post in/to Off-Topic.
  • MarcoF said:
    @Rocodamelshe ;
    It wasn't mine choice to open/move this post in/to Off-Topic.
    /agree
  • PandaPanda Member
    MarcoF said:
    Nevertheless its a fact that a lot of Homeys have a lot of stability problems, hopefully that's going to change in the near future. Also new features are useless if homey crashes often, stability should be priority number 1.
    This may be true, but remember that not everyone at homey works on the core, they all have a specific task. So it would be useless to let the other team members do nothing and let only a few work on the core.

Making the core stable and at the same time let others work on new features should be no problem.

Regarding the closing of topics, I don't agree, close the topic and reference to the correct discussion.
    Otherwise it will get very messy.

Just like this topic, Theo had mentioned it a million times he has put his Homey away, what is the point of creating a seperate topic other then blanting his frustration.
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited March 2016
    +1 2 @panda!

[sarcasm]
    Maybe focusing on the core/stability issues can result in faster shipment&retail and Athom generates shitloads of €€€€€ what's very positive for all concerning parties?
    [/sarcasm]
  • Panda said:

Regarding the closing of topics, I don't agree, close the topic and reference to the correct discussion.
    Otherwise it will get very messy.

Just like this topic, Theo had mentioned it a million times he has put his Homey away, what is the point of creating a seperate topic other then blanting his frustration.
    Cheers!