This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Official

Official Homey Android App discussion topic

Comments

• supericesuperice Member
    edited February 2016
    Fire69 said:
    So is it only the wave that's invisible? The recognition should work without the wave being shown? 
    Strictly speaking, yes, although I haven't had the time yet to verify this. The phone I've tested did open the microphone and did listen to any speaking as far as I know.

Then again, it's pretty hard to see when you've triggered the voice recognition without the wave turning to orange
  • I'll do some testing when I get home :smile: 
  • JesperJesper Member
    edited February 2016
    I can confirm that my S6 is indeed listening although you can't see the wave turning orange when it recognized the OK Homey. I tried turning lights off and turning lights on and both worked perfect. There is no chance that the voice was triggered directly on the Homey since I switched it's microphone off because it reacts on the television to often.

I'm already happy that I'm able to send voice commands using my S6. Now I only need some sign on my S6 so that I can see that I triggered the voice recognition. If the orange wave is to difficult now I'm also already happy with a small question mark (or something like that) which appears in the corner of the screen. Just until you got the wave working on the S6/S7 series.
  • Yes, just tested it myself and it is working on my S6 Edge and Note 10.1 tablet! :smiley: 

But as said, not seeing what's happening is sometimes confusing.  Did it not trigger, did it not understand, ...? :smile: 

Maybe just change it from a wave to a text 'I'm listening!' or something  :p
  • Fire69 said:
    Yes, just tested it myself and it is working on my S6 Edge and Note 10.1 tablet! :smiley: 

But as said, not seeing what's happening is sometimes confusing.  Did it not trigger, did it not understand, ...? :smile: 

Yeah, that should do it. Perhaps a 'ping'-sound or something, comparable to Google Now. I'll look into it sometime this week.
  • superice said:
    Fire69 said:
    Yes, just tested it myself and it is working on my S6 Edge and Note 10.1 tablet! :smiley: 

Yeah, that should do it. Perhaps a 'ping'-sound or something, comparable to Google Now. I'll look into it sometime this week.

That would be nice, but, en if possible, make so, that you can turn the ping sound off after the user is gewend on how to talk tot he app.
    Maybe this is also an idea for homey itself....
  • I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 mini and no speech line. Also the app does not respond to command. I tried turn lights on, time etc. OK Google works
  • Maybe look at the neighbours ;) When I say 'Hey Siri' and pauze a sound is played so I know when to say 'Activeer licht' Whey I say 'Hey Siri, Activeer licht' the spoken text is acted upon immediatly.

• Actually, it might be nice to mimic the homey ring in the app, using the same colours. that gives a stronger link between talking to homey and talking to the app.
  • Actually, it might be nice to mimic the homey ring in the app, using the same colours. that gives a stronger link between talking to homey and talking to the app.
    That is exactly what the wave is for. Rainbow colors in the wave wouldn't work well with the colored background, but the yellow color to signify the speech is activated was chosen because Homeys' ledring uses the same color :)

(Believe me, I've obsessed about that wave, to make it as smooth as possible, and to make the colors match Homey in a logical way ;) )
  • And it looks really nice... on my wife's phone!  :#
  • Fire69 said:
    And it looks really nice... on my wife's phone!  :#
    Yeah :disappointed: I only need to get it to work on every phone...

• I did see this on my tablet (Android 4.4.2):

Don't know if it's related to the graphics problems of the wave?
  • Fire69 said:
    I did see this on my tablet (Android 4.4.2):

*snip*

Don't know if it's related to the graphics problems of the wave?
    Nope, that's another problem. I've already proposed a fix. On old Android versions ( < 5.0 ) the android browser may not properly recognize the border-radius properties sometimes, causing those corners to look really weird.

This will most probably be fixed in the next update, although I can't say for sure.
  • superice said:
    Actually, it might be nice to mimic the homey ring in the app, using the same colours. that gives a stronger link between talking to homey and talking to the app.
    That is exactly what the wave is for. Rainbow colors in the wave wouldn't work well with the colored background, but the yellow color to signify the speech is activated was chosen because Homeys' ledring uses the same color :)

(Believe me, I've obsessed about that wave, to make it as smooth as possible, and to make the colors match Homey in a logical way ;) )
    Sorry, that happens if I try to follow the discussion, without having a homey @ home.... but great minds think alike!
  • JBenjaminsJBenjamins Member
    edited March 2016
    Is the Android app supposed to be able to install onto a tablet? 
    Since I don't own an Android phone, but I do own an Android tablet. If try to install the app through the link provided in page 1 of this thread (cannot find it by simply searching Athom or Homey) the playstore reports: 'device not compatible' and 'designed for phones'. Is there some info on required version/device/etc.? I am using Android 4.1.2 on this device.
    Would be nice if the app was visible in the playstore, I had to search for the app link in this forum.

All I want to do is be able to push data out of Homey (NFC ID to be precise) into some readable form. If this can be done in a more convenient way, I'd be happy too.

BTW I really dislike this (Samsung?) Android GUI, maybe I am just too unused to/unfamiliar with it.
  • JBenjaminsJBenjamins Member
    edited March 2016
    Apparently I am using Android 4.1.2 is that too old? And if so, how could I see this in the playstore? Doesn't seem to list any requirements? 

Is there some info on required version/device/etc.? I even had to search for the app link in this forum

• Android 4.4 is required.
    Since your device is too old and not supported, it's normal you don't see it in the Play Store.
  • Fire69 said:
    Android 4.4 is required.
    Since your device is too old and not supported, it's normal you don't see it in the Play Store.
    How would I find out that 4.4 is required?

• Fire69 said:
    Android 4.4 is required.
    How would I find out that 4.4 is required?
    Thanks for the quick response btw :)
  • Is the Android app supposed to be able to install onto a tablet? 
    Since I don't own an Android phone, but I do own an Android tablet. If try to install the app through the link provided in page 1 of this thread (cannot find it by simply searching Athom or Homey) the playstore reports: 'device not compatible' and 'designed for phones'. Is there some info on required version/device/etc.? I am using Android 4.1.2 on this device.
    Would be nice if the app was visible in the playstore, I had to search for the app link in this forum.

All I want to do is be able to push data out of Homey (NFC ID to be precise) into some readable form. If this can be done in a more convenient way, I'd be happy too.

BTW I really dislike this (Samsung?) Android GUI, maybe I am just too unused to/unfamiliar with it.
    That's odd, it should be visible in the Play Store, when I search here with Chrome in incognito mode I can find it perfectly fine. Anyway, the minimum Android version required is 4.2. I'd have to look up why that is exactly because I'm sure there was a proper reason to put that limit there.

The app indeed is designed for phones, but it should work on tablets. I removed the hard requirement after some newer phones were recognized by the Play Store as tablet. There may be multiple reasons your device is not compatible though. First of all because of the Android 4.2+ requirement, as mentioned before. There's also a hard requirement for both OpenGL ES 2.0+ (graphics card stuff) and a having a microphone for the wave at the bottom.

Most phones and tablets satisfy these requirements easily, except for the very old phones or tablets, but then again, when I look at the statistics, we're talking about only 10-ish percent of users worldwide, and users of the Homey app typically have very new devices (well over 80% of installs is currently on Android Lollipop or Marshmellow).

What exactly do you mean with 'push data out of Homey (NFS ID to be precise)' ? That's not something the Android app currently supports, any NFC reader app could do that I guess.
  • superice said:
    Is the Android app supposed to be able to install onto a tablet? 

That's odd, it should be visible in the Play Store, when I search here with Chrome in incognito mode I can find it perfectly fine. Anyway, the minimum Android version required is 4.2. I'd have to look up why that is exactly because I'm sure there was a proper reason to put that limit there.

The app indeed is designed for phones, but it should work on tablets. I removed the hard requirement after some newer phones were recognized by the Play Store as tablet. There may be multiple reasons your device is not compatible though. First of all because of the Android 4.2+ requirement, as mentioned before. There's also a hard requirement for both OpenGL ES 2.0+ (graphics card stuff) and a having a microphone for the wave at the bottom.

Most phones and tablets satisfy these requirements easily, except for the very old phones or tablets, but then again, when I look at the statistics, we're talking about only 10-ish percent of users worldwide, and users of the Homey app typically have very new devices (well over 80% of installs is currently on Android Lollipop or Marshmellow).

What exactly do you mean with 'push data out of Homey (NFS ID to be precise)' ? That's not something the Android app currently supports, any NFC reader app could do that I guess.
    Thanks for your comments. As Fire69 mentioned Android 4.4 is required I am now updating (Galaxy Note 8 btw) to that, the other (OpenGL) requirements are met probably. I'll know in a bit, takes a while to finish the installation of KitKat.

For the NFC I followed this trick: https://forum.athom.com/discussion/comment/10304/#Comment_10105 and it works, I can have Homey tell me the ID by voice, but I am unable to properly match it (at least, if I add the specific ID to the flow card it doesn't trigger, so I think I misunderstand the voice). It would be beneficial if there was a possibility to 'print out' data to the screen somehow. 

• Fire69 said:
    Android 4.4 is required.
    Nope, actually 4.2 is required. But the higher the better because backwards compatibility is a pain in the you-know-what :tongue: 

• Fire69Fire69 Member
    edited March 2016
    Thanks for your comments. As Fire69 mentioned Android 4.4 is required I am now updating (Galaxy Note 8 btw) to that, the other (OpenGL) requirements are met probably. I'll know in a bit, takes a while to finish the installation of KitKat.

For the NFC I followed this trick: https://forum.athom.com/discussion/comment/10304/#Comment_10105 and it works, I can have Homey tell me the ID by voice, but I am unable to properly match it (at least, if I add the specific ID to the flow card it doesn't trigger, so I think I misunderstand the voice). It would be beneficial if there was a possibility to 'print out' data to the screen somehow. 

I was wrong.  Superice is the Athom app developer, I guess he knows better  :#
  • Okay, updated Android to 4.2.2 (seems latest available version somehow) and now I could
    • find the Homey app in the playstore 
    • install it :)
    • just got a notification about Android update to 4.4.2 cool...
    Still, it would be smart to mention this requirement somewhere for Android newbies like myself.

Thanks!

• 4.4.2 might be the latest android version for your phone... But indeed, wouldn't have needed to buy a phone with android 5.1, an older phone with 4.2.2 would suffice... OTOH, as this thread is on the first page when googling for "homey android version",  and from https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.athom.homey&hl=nl it's obvious.

• 4.4.2 might be the latest android version for your phone... But indeed, wouldn't have needed to buy a phone with android 5.1, an older phone with 4.2.2 would suffice... OTOH, as this thread is on the first page when googling for "homey android version",  and from https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.athom.homey&hl=nl it's obvious.

Interesting that the webversion of the playstore lists requirements. It doesn't in the playstore app on my android tablet. In fact I find the Playstore rather horrible, but apparently I've grown accustomed to the apple way of things.

• NeantroNeantro Member
    edited April 2016
    [placed in wrong topic, could not delete comment]
  • If you have different devices in different rooms you have to click a lot in the app.
    Is there a favorite list somewhere?
    If no => feature request  B)
  • If you have different devices in different rooms you have to click a lot in the app.
    If no => feature request  B)

If you have different devices in different rooms you have to click a lot in the app.
    If no => feature request  B
    Not yet, but we've definitely thought about such a feature. We're still not quite sure how to design that, because quick access to devices could be implemented in multiple ways (for example: search function with saved queries, favorites list, last used list etc.) And even more difficult; you might want to group these devices in flows!

Anyway, we're thinking about it, but don't expect it in the near future.

What you can expect in the near future however, is the Android app beta! I'm hoping to release a release today or tomorrow to the beta channel, which you can sign up for right here: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.athom.homey

This release does not contain additional features, but it is a complete rewrite, which should increase performance and snappy-ness, as well as decrease development times for us (because iOS and Android now share a codebase). The awesome part is that if you guys on Android find bugs, those bugs will be fixed on iOS as well and the other way around :)