This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Controlling a central ventilation system with Homey

In my hiouse i have a central ventilation system that can be remotely controlled by an RFT transmitter. In the link you see the product info sheet of the transmitter.
http://www.ithodaalderop.nl/sites/default/files/documents/rft_07_2011_bedieningsschakelaar.pdf
Would it be possible to control the ventillation system with homey?
So by saying: Homey i am goin to take a shower, homey puts the ventilation system on high speed.
That would be nice :)

Comments

• I also have mechanical ventilation (actually a WTW) only i have an older model than is described in the link. I had to build a separate module in the pirilex connector. the problem is (well challenge) is that pretty much RF communication is on the 868Mz band and also the remote mechanical ventilation.

there are different ways to build what your goal is with a KAKU but I'm not started experimenting yet.
  • In my hiouse i have a central ventilation system that can be remotely controlled by an RFT transmitter. In the link you see the product info sheet of the transmitter.
    http://www.ithodaalderop.nl/sites/default/files/documents/rft_07_2011_bedieningsschakelaar.pdf
    Would it be possible to control the ventillation system with homey?
    So by saying: Homey i am goin to take a shower, homey puts the ventilation system on high speed.
    That would be nice :)
    +1

Thats an idea i didn't thought about!!
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    I also have an Itho box with a RF remote and already connected it to my current vera3 controller.

I bought an relayboard with 8 relays, connected it to my controller, took the RF, removed the 4 switches of the pcb and soldered 8 wires on it. Then i connected the wires to 4 NO relais and now i can control the Itho box through my Vera3.

here is one example of it;
    http://www.domoticaforum.eu/uploaded/RDNZL/2008114205753_img_0002.jpg
  • What I would like to see is the possibility to use mechanical ventilation intelligently based on Indoor temperature, target temperature (thermostat), outdoor temperature (weather online), and sensors in the windows.

Example Switch ventilation on
    IF Indoor temperature is higher then the target temperature (thermostat)
    AND outdoor temperature is lower then indoor temperature
    AND the windows are closed
    AND I'm not on holiday.

I cannot measure outdoor temperature myself because I live in an apartment building.
    Currently, I can already switch on the ventilation using KAKU based on humidity, timer or remote control. I have high hopes for Homey :)
  • You also can think of:
    - when leaving home, switch the ventilation on the lowest speed
    - at night (when going to bed) switch ventilation to the lowest speed

And offcourse when the temperature is low or high outside, switch the ventilation to low speed (unless you are cooking or showering).

There are so many combinations that you can think of.
  • Would be nice if Homey could talk to the ventilation system but the frequency seems like a big problem to me.
    I'm using two remotes for the Itho/Daalderop unit, one next to the bathroom to select 20min high speed ventilation and one in the kitchen to speed up the ventilation if needed.

• I put a Klik-Aan-Klik-Uit switch on the kitchen switch because that would give the most precise control.
  • @Nico_GH2 I have not looked into the frequencies, i was just thinking about the possible things you can do with it. Besides that I really hope that the athom team will also look at home power management.

Controlling the ventilation system is just one of the home power management aspects. Also controlling the thermostat and monitoring power consumption (i.e. reading the smart power and gas meters) is something that in the (near) future one of the features that would be great to have.
  • Is there any news about this future. 
    Is there someone who can make a app for it? 
  • Which features do you expect/want to see in a App ?

I think the hardware "behind" the app is to scattered to make a generic App.
  • We have a RF controlled WTW unit of Bergschenhoek Luchtcomfort (R-Vent group). I'd also like to see that controlled by Homey, but I haven't been able to find out (yet) how the RF is working (in terms of frequency / protocol etc.).
    I know there is also a possibility of controlling it by wire (at least, according to the installation schematics) but RF feature would be more convenient of course...
    Anybody here with some more knowledge or experiences?
  • I would love this as well. Connect a door sensor in the bathroom, and turn on the ventilation when the door is opened. However, I think there are many different systems out there and a lot of them will differ in the way they work.
  • MarcoF said:
    Which features do you expect/want to see in a App ?

I think the hardware "behind" the app is to scattered to make a generic App.
    I'll hope to switch it on or off by humidity. 
    But if i can make a flow with a COCO switch, so that i can turn it on and homey can turn it off a 15 minutes after i turn off the lights in the bathroom, i'm happy.

Now i have one switch in the kitchen so when i take a shower i must to the kitchen to turn it on. 

• Same situation here as @jovink ;

But a door sensor - 15 minutes of ventilation, then turning it off again, would be awesome. However, I'm not even sure what kind of signal my home has.
  • p0ntsp0nts Member
    got a Buva Vital Air System and would like to control this as well.
  • MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited March 2016
    We have a itho ecofan cve rft and i also want to control it native with Homey.
    Would be great to control it based on inside/outside temp, inside/outside humidity and also CO2 ppm.
  • MarcoF said:
    We have a itho ecofan cve rft and i also want to control it native with Homey.
    Would be great to control it based on inside/outside temp, inside/outside humidity and also CO2 ppm.
    I have the CVE combined with the Itho DF/QF Baseset 8 and the Itho DF-PW8.
    Measures CO2 in all the rooms and can be set to 2 different values.
    Also measures humidity in the bathroom.
    Full automatic.
    In Holland we say: Kost wat, heb je ook wat.
  • @Rocodamelshe ;
    also want DemandFlow, but "Kost wat, heb je ook wat" is a real different story in a '80 house with window vent.
    For now we have to deal with the Itho Mechanical ventilation box.... which is automated through our Vera3 with a ETHRelay board and a itho remote :smiley: 

• The guy that wrote http://www.progz.nl/blog/index.php/2015/05/reverse-engineering-remote-itho-cve-eco-rft-part-6/ did a nice job with the itho remote controller protocol in an effort to get it working with an arduino and a CC1150 RF transmitter.
  • Yeah I would like to control the Zehnder/storkair RF remotes CO2 (868mhz freq). https://www.gebruikershandleiding.com/Zehnder-Hoofdbediening-CO2-RF/preview-handleiding-557368.html?page=0002

• Would like that to, but it's going to be difficult. Nothing found on the internet about that. Only z-wave or arduino relais solutions found. Nothing regarding rfxcom integration, so it's going to be difficult for Homey as well.
  • edited April 2016
    maja2020 said:
    The guy that wrote http://www.progz.nl/blog/index.php/2015/05/reverse-engineering-remote-itho-cve-eco-rft-part-6/ did a nice job with the itho remote controller protocol in an effort to get it working with an arduino and a CC1150 RF transmitter.
    I have read that. Question is if the 868/433 controllers can be used for controling the itho ventiation system and that an app can be writen based on what they did. That would be great if it is possible.
  • maja2020 said:
    The guy that wrote http://www.progz.nl/blog/index.php/2015/05/reverse-engineering-remote-itho-cve-eco-rft-part-6/ did a nice job with the itho remote controller protocol in an effort to get it working with an arduino and a CC1150 RF transmitter.
    I have read that. Question is if the 868/433 controllers can be used for controling the itho ventiation system and that an app can be writen based on what they did. That would be great if it is possible.
    Homey uses a CC1101 RF controller, this is the big brother of the CC1150 chip. Main difference is that the CC1150 has no built in receiver, it can only send data. Same manufacturer, same logical setup, same signal specs. If the decoded bytestream is correct and the exact frequency of the itho module is known  (868.XX Mhz) then it should work.
  • Have each itho module another frequency? Or how can you learn a (original) rf switch to a itho module? 
  • 2mv2mv Member
    @MennoVanGrinsven So if I understand correctly, right now you don't have this 'RFT bedieningsschakelaar' installed, but you want to use homey to do his job instead?
    That would be really slick if you pull this off.

But how is it wired at this moment? Does it have a mechanical switch (in the kitchen I suppose?) and wired to the ventilation box? Is the wiring suitable to hook up a acm-3500-3 to it?
    If that's possible then that would be the "kost niks, maar heb je nog wel wat" (translation: cheap-ass) solution.
  • edited April 2016
    @2mv i have a RFT switch for the itho in the kitchen. But would like homey to be able to control the ventilation system. In the future i would like to add a sensor in the bathroom to monitor the moisture level. Based on passing a certain value, the itho is switched on and also switched off when the moisture level drops below a certain value.

The itho is wired the kitchen also with a "3 standen schakelaar", but they wired it wrongly... The itho is now on or completely off when using the mechanical switch.

@hnijveen that is also a solution. I have a perilex connector where the itho is connected to.

But the easiest way would be homey transmitting the signals from the remote.

• The itho is wired the kitchen also with a "3 standen schakelaar", but they wired it wrongly... The itho is now on or completely off when using the mechanical switch.

My guess is they did that on purpose.
    That is the only way to shut down the Itho.

• 2mv2mv Member
    That perilex switch in the kitchen is most probably directly wired to the meter and then wired to the perilex connector at the ventilation box. Did you have the ventilation box replaced in the last couple of years? If so, the original ventilation box would have been switched (230vac) in the kitchen (a perilex connector has more wires then a 'normal' connector).
    Guess they still use the wires for powering it, but not for switching it. It's not wrong, just not the original usage any more.

I don't now the itho ventilation box you have (you haven't told yet?), nor am I a electrical engineer for that matter. But has it a RJ12 or the like connector, or other low voltage wiring, opentherm, on it?
  • EdoEdo Member
    Would this code help Athom produce an App for Homey:
    https://github.com/supersjimmie/IthoEcoFanRFT