This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

Cheap Homey clones for sale!

I was just in a store here in the Netherlands where they had dozens of cheap Homey-like devices for sale. They're dirt cheap, a lot cheaper than the real Homeys. I've bought and tested one and it works great, even better than the real Homey at the moment! And best of all they have loads of these for sale RIGHT NOW. I guess with all the delays and the software bugs Athom really missed a golden opportunity; but now you can buy yourself your own Homey for next to nothing, and it does a wonderful job, especially considering the price!

Check it out, I took a picture;

Just thought you all should know.

Comments

•  :D Brilliant! 
  • NattelipNattelip Member
    edited February 2016
    this is the one wifes buy, i cant stand the smell
  • Hahahaha, I got trolled so hard I was like: 

• And it has a really high WAF, Homey cant compete with that ... :lol: 
  • Haha, even better, we can even smell what this things wants us to smell.. Only problem when you talk to this thing, it just doesn't talk back..  :D
  • At first I thought it was real, really funny
  • Thats what homey is missing, smell notifications....
  • Great! I was just looking for a casing for my RaspberryPI and LED string. :smiley: 
  • honey said:
    Great! I was just looking for a casing for my RaspberryPI and LED string. :smiley: 
    This could actually be really cool. It does have the Homey look, you could actually conceivably put stuff in there and have like a little brother/sister to Homey.
  • Lmao. You got me worried there for a split second
  • Very funny!! :smiley: 

• lol very funny!
  • What about Homey's rolling friend:

• evadevad Member
    edited February 2016
    @ novaflash.   

What is the name of the store where you found those homey clones? 
    Could use that cassing for a little project 
  • LIDL in Leeuwarden.
  • Qx5Qx5 Member
    Did you ever see those? Homey's evil brother!
    Zotac mini pc case https://www.zotac.com/nl/product/mini_pcs/zbox_o_series

• honeyhoney Member
    Or the Google NexusQ itself:

• honeyhoney Member
    Or giayee android TV Box:

• honeyhoney Member

Or an other home automation Kickstarter project: Branto
    This looks more like the Lidl air freshener. 

• This just makes me want to paint the Homey black. As soon as I have it, I think I will do just that. Matt black.
  • honeyhoney Member
    edited March 2016
    The original concept was this. It was called Acedia before Homey:

Seems like this two shapes covers the whole industry. I would also go with matt black. The LED ring would be a statement. AV units are black, it would blend in nicely. If you paint it please let us know your findings. I have no idea what is the best paint for ASA plastic.
  • i don't know what the best paint is either but i'll go for automotive spray can paint and see what happens.
  • http://www.plasti-dip.be/

You don't like it, just peel it off and try another color :wink: 
  • Oh yeah I've been meaning to get a can of that stuff. Since I'm in NL I ordered it through plastidip.nl.

• I brought back 4 cans from the US last year in April.  Was gonna use them on my car.  Haven't even touched them since then  :p
  • Watch out for paints which contains metals, it really could hurt the range of your sensors...
  • Fire69 said:
    http://www.plasti-dip.be/

You don't like it, just peel it off and try another color :wink: 
    That is awesome stuff indeed. I used it on a nic once (green pcb in an open case with a black\red theme) Worked like a charm and so did the nic after spraying the pcb.
  • DenWDenW Member
    honey said:
    The original concept was this. It was called Acedia before Homey:

Seems like this two shapes covers the whole industry. I would also go with matt black. The LED ring would be a statement. AV units are black, it would blend in nicely. If you paint it please let us know your findings. I have no idea what is the best paint for ASA plastic.
    That does look rather sharp! I really like the grey metallic effect.
  • It's just a render. Nothing looks like that in real life  :D