This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Announcement Official

Will Homey support {device x}? Read this first!

EmileEmile Administrator, Athom
edited August 2017 in Devices
To limit the amount of questions following 'will {device x} be supported?', I've created this flowchart to give some insight in our decision making to support a device.

When the App Store is live, an overview with supported devices will be available there. In the meantime, please use this
Tagged:

Comments

• I've got a summarized version of your Chart:

Is it NOT possible? Then NO, we won't support it!
    Is it YES possible? Then if it's popular we will PROBABLY support it! Unpopular? Do it yourself!

:-) But I like the specific instructions. I think people will appreciate it.
  • EmileEmile Administrator, Athom
    ;)
  • Could u fix the image? :)
    It is working. However, it's an svg image, so maybe your browser does not support it!
  • hmm true, works in chrome

• Qx5Qx5 Member

Doesn't for safari/iphone. Might be nice to make it mobile compatible :)

Updated to png :)

• The Yes and No in the bottom right corner should be switched?

• Fire69Fire69 Member
    edited May 2015

In your flowchart, most technologies have a 'probably' or 'popular/api/no/community'-condition.
    Only Z-Wave has a definitive 'yes'. Are you sure about this?

I'm trying to use an Almond+ right now, but device-support is incredibly slow. They have to receive each device they want to support, test it, include it in the next firmware, ...

How will this work for Homey? For example, I just got a Fibaro Roller Shutter module.
    Will I be able to send a command to Open/Close to 50%, or can I only send the command to open/close it and I have to manually stop it at the wanted position?

• MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited May 2015

Months ago the posted an Kickstarter update with an box stuffed with Fibaro gadgets;
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/athom/homey-the-living-room-talk-to-your-home/posts/1054879

So my guess is that all Fibaro modules will be supported at launch.

Other brands and modules are still an mysterie....

I hope that the get the fibaro smoke detectors working properly without the annoying "random" BEEP....
    Orders 4 detectors, opened one for testing, installed none.... €€€€....

As Fibaro is Z-Wave, they will definitely be supported on launch. We'll have to see about all FIbaro-specific functionality, but in essence everything should work.

• Fire69Fire69 Member

Fibaro was just an example here ;)
    I'm thinking about getting some stuff from Aeotec also, so I was just wondering : if {Z-Wave} then {everything works} :P
    It's just that with the Almond they have to add each product one by one to add support.
    And then even when it's added, you need patience for them to add it in different places (UI, rules, ...) :(

• BasPostBasPost Member

I'm looking also for Aeotec modules and Qubino modules. So it is a fair question regarding if popular Z-wave modules will be supported.

• MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited May 2015

@Fire69;
    I'm also very curious about how it all will work on the Homey.
    With the Vera3 its also "waiting" for official support on new modules.

But, on the Vera its possible to "add" Types(temp, motion, switch) devices based on default configs.
    After that you need to manually config them. This approach works, but is not user friendly and allot of people have difficulties to add new devices to old firmwares. Also if an factory reset is needed, the user needs to manually add the devices again....

It would be very reasonable to ask for a complete list of supported (@launch and future) devices and which features of the devices will be supported.

• MarcoFMarcoF Member
    edited June 2015

MarcoF said:

It would be very reasonable to ask for a complete list of supported (@launch and future) devices and which features of the devices will be supported.

We'll notify you of that list in the form of the app store when it's online. For now, it's also a bit unclear for us :) Mainly because 'at launch' is such a broad term.

• Fire69Fire69 Member

let's call it 'at shipping of first units' then ;)

• MarcoFMarcoF Member

Ok, so you don't have an list with devices that are already working and you could share with us?

• Fire69Fire69 Member

Just thought of an extra question about general support of Z-wave. What about multi-function devices? Like the Aeotec Multisensor6, that supports motion, temp, uv, ... Or most Fibaro modules, which support power metering also?
    Will all functions be available at launch?

Yup

• Fire69Fire69 Member

If it's all going work as good as you're saying, this will be awesome!
    I've been waiting for over a year now for the most basic functions to work on the Almond+, it's starting to look like a joke... :-(
    I will be soooo happy to receive the Homey :-)

• Fire69Fire69 Member

I picked up a 433mhz doorbell for cheap at the Action-store, 5.95€
    As your flowchart says, I googled it.
    This is what I found: http://www.domoticz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3262

Where does this fit in your flow? Community? Clone with Homey?

• Currently researching some of our own doorbells (the ones my company puts to market) and the 4 I took home to test have no security protocol at all, just simple On/Off-keying in one-way communication with selectable channels.

Homey (or a PC with an RFXcomm attached) seems it can easily clone the signal and either resend it to signal the bell to ring OR save it and 'listen' to it.

• Fire69Fire69 Member
    edited July 2015

OK, I'm going to ask a probably slighty silly question. I was looking for parts for my car and stumbled upon this:
    http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/RDKS-KIA-Sportage-facelift-SL-2014-2015-433MHZ-Reifendrucksensor-TPMS-/251979525819

It's a sensor that measures the pressure in your tires so you get warned when you get a flat tire.
    But to my surprise I notice those things operate at 433Mhz!
    Is there any chance Homey could do something with that signal?
    My car is already equipped with these things. Would be nice if Homey could warn me if the pressure in my tires is too low! :-D

Haha, maybe if the range is long enough!

• Lol.. @Fire69 is taking this to the next level.

• Well, if the car is in front of the house, it seems very legit to me!

• TheoDeKoningTheoDeKoning Member
    edited September 2015

Now the shipment date for Homey is coming close, I start to be nerves to see all the products Homey have to handle. How thick must be the starting manual because of all those products.

Take for example CoCo/KaKu.
    In one of the videos a remote-control, what already was connected to a lamp, was also used to connect the same lamp to Homey.
    But if you want Homey itself to be the only sender to that lamp can that also be done.

This is one product with has a lot of different approach to a solution. In my mind a see the same for the rest of the products.

Also for the programming of apps or other programs I be nerves.
    For javascript I am not afraid.
    Well for e.g. the Homey Development Kit. You needed a lot of maps for applications ect.
    Maybe there can be a litter corner of the form for novices in this field.