This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.

[Tutorial] IFTTT for Homey

RobinRobin Member
edited January 2016 in Devices
Hi guys,

Good news and bad news. Good news first; finally found the time to make a small tutorial on how to setup the IFTTT app on Homey! Bad news; you won't be able use the IFTTT app as of yet (a small settings refactoring is waiting to be pushed to the app store!).

I will let you know when the new version of the app is in the app store, for now check out the video to get an idea on how it works!

@Moek
@Phuturist ;

Comments

• @Robin , thx!
  • @Robin , awesome!

Depending on the reliability of IFTTT this will be extremely powerful for all smart stuff that has no dedicated app (yet) but does support IFTTT.
  • I wouldnt use ifttt for critical purposes (as mentioned in the video) my experiences with ifttt arent that good. Recipes triggering multiple times or not at all. But for general stuff it is certainly great!
  • Maker is available for everyone to creatie triggers based on webhooks, right? Are you planning on creating a Homey specific channel for ITTT? Or would this required you to host a service yourself, which I Can imagine is not your main goal here?
  • @Robin  B) thx..... B) 
  • brinkie said:
    Maker is available for everyone to creatie triggers based on webhooks, right? Are you planning on creating a Homey specific channel for ITTT? Or would this required you to host a service yourself, which I Can imagine is not your main goal here?
    Unfortunately it is not the case that we can just "create" such a IFTTT channel. We have applied for a Homey dedicated channel, and are waiting for IFTTT to approve our request. My personal guess is that once Homey get's some track and people are actually using it IFTTT will come back at our request.
  • Fair enough @Robin ;. For now the webhooks can at least get us started.
  • Robin said:
    brinkie said:
    Maker is available for everyone to creatie triggers based on webhooks, right? Are you planning on creating a Homey specific channel for ITTT? Or would this required you to host a service yourself, which I Can imagine is not your main goal here?
    Unfortunately it is not the case that we can just "create" such a IFTTT channel. We have applied for a Homey dedicated channel, and are waiting for IFTTT to approve our request. My personal guess is that once Homey get's some track and people are actually using it IFTTT will come back at our request.
    there are other much smaller starters that from day one of product launch have been avail on the ifttt channel, I think it must be some queue of a kind. 
  • As you might have noticed already the app is updated in the app store, the settings bug should be fixed!
  • @Robin ;
    Do you have an reference number or something for your request @IFTTT ?
    Maybe we can start a similar thing like with the spotify-kudos?

• Looks cool so i gave it a try :) But it looks like Homey doesn't want to remember my settings :( Is this a known bug? Or am i doing something wrong?
  • edited February 2016
    @MarcoBannink ;
    I had the same after reboot of homey all my settings were visible againI
    edit: (and later they were gone again or not visible) ARGHHHHH 
  • It's already listed as issue:
    https://github.com/athombv/homey/issues/151
  • Sinds ik de IFTTT app geïnstalleerd heb werken mijn klik aan klik uit lampen niet meer:( Ook na het deinstalleren van de app werken mijn lampen niet :( Dan maar zelf aanschakelen :)
  • I have tried creating an IFTTT flow with Homey using the very helpful tutorial which Robin provided and it all works except for one thing.

When I send an email to trigger@recipe.ifttt.com I see that the trigger on IFTTT works because I see the run count on IFTTT increasing with 1 for that recipe. However, the other recipe is not triggered (no increase in run count). The Homey flow is not working automatically. But when I test the flow on Homey I suddenly get two emails from IFTTT. It looks like my previous trigger was in a queue and was started because I tested the flow in Homey.

I tried this multiple times and every time when I test the flow in Homey I get multiple emails of all the IFTTT triggers which didn't came through.

Is this a (known) problem related to the Athom webhooks?
  • This is the last update in issue 151:

"Hi guys, sorry you are having issues with the IFTTT app. It seems something broke precisely after I tested and uploaded the app. I asked Emile about this, and he mentioned that there are some related bugs fixed in the upcoming versions! If you are still having issues on 0.8.19 please let me know."

Guess we will need to wait till 0.8.19. 
  • I wish this would have a higher priority on their list  :(
    With IFTTT Homey could compensate most of the features I am missing atm:

- rudimentary Deezer/Spotify Support
    - "widget" support (starting flows with DO-Button)
    - Netatmo Welcome Camera (Knowing who is home, even without homey app installed on their phones)
    - easier Hue-Scenes
    - Weather (Buienradar doesn't work for me)
    - Phone related stuff (e.g. Flow triggers when phone is plugged)

And yes, I am aware that IFTTT is not stable/fast at all, but it would bridge the time until Homey features these all (and I have no doubt Homey will!).
  • RobinRobin Member
    edited February 2016
    Sorry I've been quiet for so long! Been working on the IFTTT app (among others), fixed some bugs and made it even better under the hood. The update is released in the app store (1.0.3), however a bug in the current Homey version prevents the IFTTT flows from triggering, this bug is fixed and will be shipped in 0.8.20, so just a couple of days more of your patience!:)
  • Robin said:
    Sorry I've been quiet for so long! Been working on the IFTTT app (among others), fixed some bugs and made it even better under the hood. The update is released in the app store (1.0.3), however a bug in the current Homey version prevents the IFTTT flows from triggering, this bug is fixed and will be shipped in 0.8.20, so just a couple of days more of your patience!:)
    @Robin Is this by any chance the bug related to device data not being passed to the autocomplete event handler?
  • I don't think these bugs are related, the one disabling the IFTTT app had to do with programmatically triggering a flow that did not work.
  • Installed version v1.0.3 today on firmware 0.8.20 and now the triggers from tutorial are working!
  • Yes same here! It's working perfect!

Suggestion/Question: Is there any possibility to use the "Body" to send variables from IFTTT to Homey? You can fill in "Ingredients" at IFTTT in the "Body"  field, but you need a fixed eventname for a Homey flow. It would be cool to transmit some additional data e.g.:

IFTTT: Netatmo Welcome [Known person arrives home] then Maker [Sending Eventname + PersonName to Homey]
    Homey: Maker triggers say: " Welcome Home [PersonName]".
  • Great to hear it is working! @Peao the things you mention are definately on the list of features to implement in the future.
  • Since Homey is not able to detect properly when you are home (get multiple you came home messages when just walking in my house) I created a IFTTT recipe which sends a web request to Homey whenever I connect to my WIFI network. Now I'm able to use this web request in multiple flows instead  of the presence flow cards.

Why can't we chose within Homey that or presence is determined via WIFI. So whenever I connect, or am connected to my home WIFI network I'm home.
  • KoenMartensKoenMartens Member
    edited August 2016
    @Robin: Any update/timeline on this? Especially filling info in a body. IFTTT still works as explained in the video for me.

EDIT: for everyone who wants IFTTT Maker to send a body:

You can use the HTTP app to send the following url, with a HTTP-GET card:
    https://maker.ifttt.com/trigger/<EventName>/with/key/<IFTTTMakerKey>value1=XXX&value2=XXX&value3=XXX

Works flawlessly.
  • Is it correct that the IFTTT connection is nto working anymore after the 0.10 update?
    The flow works when tested. The recipe is checked and no errors. But  recipe doesn't trigger the flow?

• blusserblusser Member
    edited September 2016
    Probably since there are some problems with webhooks in 0.10 , see the telegram threat for more info
  • @Robin ;
    @Emile ;
    Any update for the official IFTTT App release?
    Since your software status update from 14.10. where you stated that the App will be released one week later,  we haven't heard anything. If there are still problems you could open the beta test for all users so problems could be figured out a lot faster.
  • IFTTT isn't working for me since the new IFTTT-Layout rolled out.