This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

Homey to turn on/off PC and execute specific applications

Ordered a Homey a week ago and looking forward playing with it and automate all the stuff in my home. :smile: Hope production will be prosperous over the next few weeks...!

Only I haven't figured out yet how I can let Homey talk to my PC:

- To turn the PC on/off
- Launch specific applications (e.g. use flows to let Homey decide when to run a maintenance task on PC, start Media Center app, etc)

How can this be achieved, how do you do things like these?

Comments

• Maak je gebruik van windows of linux? Linux is redelijk makkelijk haalbaal dmv ssh. Windows gaat wat moeilijker worden denk ik. Voor het aanschakelen van je PC kun je wake-on-lan gebruiken. Wake on lan zou nog een mooie app zijn.
  • Using Windows... Ah wake-on-lan is a good suggestion indeed!
  • I currently use an infrared attachment to my HTPC, so Homey should be able to control that.
    Then you can put commandos in the software for the IR module, giving Homey the option to carry out commands such as start play music.
  • If I may, I've asked this question two months ago without a single response. https://forum.athom.com/discussion/447/unified-remote/p1 I think this is one of the best solutions, just too bad that no one seems to think so...
  • It is a software solution, meaning that wake-on-lan might be a bit tricky, but apart from that it's free, available everywhere including a fully documented API, and it's already integrated in many many services and devices. Hoping Homey can soon be on that list.
  • Thanks Tommyjay, that looks like quite a feasible solution indeed. Unified Remote also seems to be capable of turning on the pc using WOL: https://www.unifiedremote.com/tutorials/how-to-configure-wake-on-lan-on-windows

• Since Homey is most likely running some Linux distro, implementing the etherwake tool should be easy. Etherwake can send wake-on-lan packets, or magic packets, to devices. This way a computer or other networked device could be woken up, if it is configured for wake-on-lan. Most computers these days are capable of this. So it'd be nice if they would implement this and add a function in the flow editor like "Wake up network device" + "with MAC address 00:01:02:03:04:05". After it has booted up, you could make calls to an API running on that computer to handle tasks. I'm thinking pstools or otherwise, like for example that unified remote thing that tommyjay mentioned.

@emile:
    Can we get wake-on-LAN capabilities on the Homey? To power on a PC in the local network configured for WOL.
  • VincentVincent Member
    edited February 2016
    novaflash said:

@emile:
    Can we get wake-on-LAN capabilities on the Homey? To power on a PC in the local network configured for WOL.
    Emile already mentioned this was quite easy. He even posted a link to a nodejs script. I'll see if I can find it.

Ok, het was op slack:

Should be pretty easy

[11:32] 

GitHub
    agnat/node_wake_on_lan
    node_wake_on_lan - Wake-on-LAN utilities for node.js
  • By the way, UR has support for WOL and can execute the command.
  • Vincent said:
    novaflash said:

@emile:
    Emile already mentioned this was quite easy. He even posted a link to a nodejs script. I'll see if I can find it.

Ok, het was op slack:

Should be pretty easy

[11:32] 

GitHub
    agnat/node_wake_on_lan
    node_wake_on_lan - Wake-on-LAN utilities for node.js

• Wake on lan is now available in the app store. :)
    https://apps.athom.com/app/it.diederik.wol

• Brilliant! Thanks.
  • I love it how these community apps are starting to pop up in the app store ... way to go geeks!
  • To send your computer to sleep remotely you can use SwitchOff 3.5 (free).

When installed on your Windows computer it creates a small webservice on a port of your choice. By browsing to the computers IP address\port you can then shut it down, send it to sleep or restart it. And if you can do it with a browser, Homey can do it (using HTTP GET).

Link to software: Airytec Switch Off

Notes:
    - fixed IP address (or a working DNS on your internal network) is a must have for this to work with any elegance..
    - without a password, anyone in your local network can access the webpage and control computers. I'm not sure how Homey would handle setting a password (patiently awaiting my Homey, i can't test at this time). So be careful, there is some risk involved.
  • Great to see that!

Nevertheless, anyone working on a Unified Remote app?
This discussion has been closed.