This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Official SDK2

[APP] Kodi [2.2.0]

EvertorNEvertorN Member
edited July 2018 in Apps

Kodi support for Homey

This it the official thread  to discuss the features and  functionality of the Kodi app for Homey.
To install this app on your Homey, go to the app store and download the app. Navigate to your Homey and go to Devices > Add devices and add a new Kodi device to your Homey by following the instructions there. 

Please check the FAQ in this post if you have any issues connecting to your Kodi instance before posting in this thread. Information about the currently supported features can be found in the description in the app store.

Release information

Current stable version: 2.2.0

Changelog:

• Complete rewrite to SDK2
  • Improved stability
  • Added flow action 'Start addon'
  • Add flow condition 'Kodi is playing movie/episode/music/anything'
  • New automatic pairing process using zeroconf. This should make it easier for everyone to add Kodi devices :). Make sure this is enabled in Settings / Services / General
  • Removed speech since there are a lot of collisions with internal Homey commands. Waiting for Athom to improve the speech interface.
  • Added trigger 'On screensaver activated'
  • Added trigger 'On screensaver deactivated'
  • Added trigger 'On video library scan finished'
  • Added trigger 'On audio library scan finished'
  • Added action 'Send a notification to Kodi'
  • Added action 'Scan video library'
  • Added action 'Scan audio library'

• Fixed triggers issues with 'movie starts' and 'tv show starts'
Older changelogs: 1.8.0
  • Added support for multiple devices
  • Fixed a bug where the app wouldn't reconnect after connection loss
  • Talkback is now done via the used media (e.g. mobile, facebook messenger or Homey itself) instead of always Homey. For example, you can now ask Homey via facebook messenger if there are new movies in your library ('any new movies?')
  • Added flow action 'Subtitle on'
  • Added flow action 'Subtitle off'
  • Added flow action 'Set party mode on'
  • Added flow action 'Set volume'
  • Added flow trigger 'When a song starts playing'
  • Added flow trigger 'When Homey reconnects to Kodi'
  • Added flow action 'Mute Kodi'
  • Added flow action 'Unmute Kodi'
  • The generic stop event now also gets triggered along with 'move stopped' and 'episode stopped' when a movie or episode ends
  • Added flow trigger 'if anything starts playing'
  • Added flow action 'play music by artist xx'
  • Homey now responds to question "Any new movies?" (Zijn er nieuwe films?)
  • Homey now responds to question "Any new episodes?") (Zijn er nieuwe afleveringen?)
The number of days to consider a movie/episode as new can be configured through the app settings. Default value is 7, which means that every movie / episode that has been added in the past 7 days will be mentioned when you ask Homey about new movies / episodes.

• Fixes for firmware 0.9.1
  • Added OnMovieStop trigger
  • Added OnEpisodeStop trigger
  • Added auto reconnect on init (after homey boots)
  • Fixed a bug where flows wouldn't trigger on FW 0.8.39
  • Added log viewer to the settings page
  • Added add-on support (start add-ons through "start addon xxxxx")
  • Fixed flow triggers for movie started by addons (e.g. exodus). Note that episodes cannot be distinguished when played by Exodus. Exodus thinks it's a movie.
  • Fixed a bug where the 'play latest episode' action card didn't work
  • Renamed app to 'Kodi'
  • Added trigger-card/action-card/speech for Shutdown/Hibernate/Reboot:
  • Added commands: "Shutdown Kodi", "Reboot Kodi", "Hibernate Kodi"
  • Added trigger-card for WakeUp (experimental)
  • Added action-card for 'Play latest episode'
  • Fixed a bug where app would crash on connection loss
  • Fixed a bug where 'play latest episode' didn't work in Dutch
  • Added a couple of fallbacks for speech 'play latest episode' (Homey asks for the name of the series if it can't find the one you're looking for) and 'watch a movie'. Try "I wanna watch a movie".
  • Added auto-reconnect functionality when Kodi has been disconnected from the network (reboot / sleep).
  • Version bump for reupload to the appstore
  • Changed way of connecting to support triggering on Kodi events. Homey flows are now triggered when you pause Kodi through your remote or any other remote app. You have to re-add your device (sorry guys)
  • Added Dutch support
  • Fixed a bug where triggers did not get fired on firmware 0.8.27+
  • Fixed a bug where HomeyKodi would crash if there weren't any movies / music /  tv shows in your library and you requested playback
  • Fixed a bug where HomeyKodi would crash if you told Kodi to 'stop', 'next track' or 'previous track' when there wasn't anything playing 
  • Initial release

Little demo 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuJ4YrIe8gE

Future features (will be added in a later version). Italic features are low priority / hard to implement
  • Mobile card to see what's currently playing (hard to map this on Athom's view of drivers / capabilities.)

FAQ

Q: I am getting the following error when I am trying to add a Kodi device: Error: unexpected server response (200)
A: Make sure you have configured your HTTP port differently than your TCP port. Homey uses TCP (default port 9090) to connect to Kodi. Homey can't connect if you configure the HTTP port to be the same as the TCP port. This might be a bit confusing because only the HTTP port is configurable through the user interface. I'd recommend leaving the HTTP port to the default value of 8080. Then, when trying to connect from Homey, use 9090 as a port number.

Donate

Consider buying me a beer if you like this app :-)

Huge thanks to the people who have already donated:

NOTE: Please keep this thread clean and on-topic. This thread is meant for support and ideas for the Kodi app. Also, please don't ask for any ETA's. I will update this thread whenever there's progress to report!

Cheers!

Tagged:

Comments

• OMG, this is so awesome!!! 
  • + 1 This would be Super !!
  • EvertorN said:

...Also, please don't ask for any ETA's. I will update this thread whenever there's progress to report!..

• Don't know if it's on your roadmap, but maybe you can make the app support multiple instances of Kodi.

For example, a Kodi in the living room and in the bedroom.
  • rvmourik said:
    Don't know if it's on your roadmap, but maybe you can make the app support multiple instances of Kodi.

For example, a Kodi in the living room and in the bedroom.
    Good idea! Currently it just connects to a single Kodi instance that can be configured in the settings. It would be cool to name multiple instances 'Living room' or 'Bedroom' and be able to say "Play movie xx on Kodi in the Living room".. Like I said, speech parsing needs a lot of improvement before I can correctly trigger 'complicated' commands like that :).
  • If you write it in a driver fashion you could use the pairing wizard to add new instances :)
  • Crunch said:
    If you write it in a driver fashion you could use the pairing wizard to add new instances :)
    Great idea!
    I have 4 Kodi's running at home, so what would be super!  :#
  • Fire69 said:
    Crunch said:
    If you write it in a driver fashion you could use the pairing wizard to add new instances :)
    Great idea!
    I have 4 Kodi's running at home, so what would be super!  :#
    These are all good ideas. I will focus on making it work for 1 instance first. Driver fashion is cool. Then you could just add Kodi as a device!
  • Please note there are some caveats in creating a driver. The docs currently don't cover those, but they will be updates soon. If you need help creating a driver, just let me know. I have it working for the Harmony Hub app.
  • Great initiative, music support would be a nice feature if you ask me!
  • +100 ! Great plan!
  • - Implemented fuzzy search functionality to improve hit rate.

Here's a little demo:

• Oh man, that is really, really, really cool!!! :smiley: 
  • THAT = AWESOME!!!
  • Very awesome!! Perhaps it's nice if Homey also confirms the command by voice? :smile: 
  • Are you only gonna support voice control, or do you have plans for a more regular remote control. 

i believe the plex app is supporting both. 

Keep up the good work. 
  • Very awesome!! Perhaps it's nice if Homey also confirms the command by voice? :smile: 
    I guess you could just throw a speech output card in the flow? No need to integrate in the app right?
  • suggestion: if a movie is started and user leaves room (ibeacon?) ask pause kodi, or let this be set to only movies.

suggestion2: power on /off kodi player, on by the wol being developed. off by kodi api
  • woei said:
    Very awesome!! Perhaps it's nice if Homey also confirms the command by voice? :smile: 
    I guess you could just throw a speech output card in the flow? No need to integrate in the app right?
    Uhhh yeah, didn't think of that :smiley: 
  • woei said:
    Very awesome!! Perhaps it's nice if Homey also confirms the command by voice? :smile: 
    Uhhh yeah, didn't think of that :smiley: 
    Yeah that should work. I implemented a flow trigger 'onMovieStarted' which can be used to perform actions when a movie starts to play.. The title is passed as a token, so I created a demo flow that let's homey say "Playing the movie {token}" and turns off my lights :smile: 
  • So, being a bit of a Kodi noob, do I need to install Kodi on my Synology first (in order to work with it with Homey)? How does this work?
  • The only requirement is that Kodi is on the same network as your Homey. I am not sure whether you can install Kodi on your synology.. I installed it on a raspberry pi and use it as a HTPC for media playback :).
  • JonJon Member
    edited February 2016
    EvertorN said:
    The only requirement is that Kodi is on the same network as your Homey. I am not sure whether you can install Kodi on your synology.. I installed it on a raspberry pi and use it as a HTPC for media playback .
    So how does this work, when all my movie/music content is on a Synology? I understand this is a bit off-topic but I'm really interested in it!!
    EDIT: okay, so I understand Kodi needs to be installed on a separate piece of hardware, separate from Synology. What is the most light-weight device (in dimensions and in power consumption) to run Kodi on?
  • PeaoPeao Member
    edited February 2016
    In general you can add your synology as data source in KODI, it's like accessing your NAS via your computer. So no need for installing something on your NAS.
    But I don't know how well the Homey-KODI app works with this.

EDIT:
    I've got Kodi running on Amazon Fire TV, I guess its one of the best solutions. Otherwise you could use a RaspPi. 
    It's a kind of tricky to get KODI on Amazon Fire TV since they removed the app out of the store. Here is a guide, but in german:
    http://aftvhacks.de/
  • I have one RaspPi, there's a white bowl around it :smile:
    Would be too much to load Kodi to Homey I guess?
  • For flow support  (When movie starts playing.. etc..) you could use JSON-RPC. i think its default on port 9000 if im not mistaken. for testing, use a telnet client to that port.

Using the JSON-RPC will inform homey when something changes on the kodi side opposed to continually requesting a http get. Hope this will help you.
  • I have one RaspPi, there's a white bowl around it :smile:
    Would be too much to load Kodi to Homey I guess?
    No, you don't.  There's no Raspi in Homey ;)

And yes, if it was a Raspi, it would probably slow your Homey down too much.