Welcome to the Athom Community Forum! This is a place to share ideas, ask for help and discuss about Homey in general.

Please read Welcome to the forum to get started.
Closed

[Input needed] How to improve the Athom forum / support pages

lubbertkramerlubbertkramer Moderator
edited April 13 in Announcements
The first weekend of april Athom and the moderators will meet to talk about the future of the community forum /support and how things can be improved. Because the community helped us already a lot we want to ask to share your ideas about those improvements because we can't do it alone.

We will try to edit this startpost so all ideas that are submitted are clear to all users and we will return feedback about what will be changed / added after our meeting. Be aware, it will be impossible to use all the good ideas that will be submitted, there will be ideas that will not be used or will be scheduled for a more future improvement.

All input below is from the community:

Improvements:
- Automatically start at the latest post in selected topic (@KvM)
- When starting a new post first state some a template/forum rules  matching the category/subsection(example tweakers) (@Oy1974)
- More engagement of the moderators and more actions on users who after several notes still have lack about the forum rules (@Oy1974)
jjtbsomhorst)
jjtbsomhorst)
Jesper)

Changes in structure:
- More subforums, for example app based / signal (z-wave/zigbee/433 etc.) based with subforums underneath (example Tweakers) (@Oy1974)
jjtbsomhorst)
- Remove suggestions and ideas from the forum (@konradwalsh)
KennethLavrsen)

Support:
jjtbsomhorst)

Note:
The purpose of this topic is for positive feedback, ideas and other improvements. There will be a strict moderation on posts to avoid discussions that are offtopic or not in line with the idea of this topic

Comments

• [RESERVED]
  • KvMKvM Member
    What I miss in the forum ( and I find very usefull in other forums) is the option to directly go to the latest reply in a topic from the main page.

• Oy1974Oy1974 Member
    More structure in the forums, its now a big mess with 100 of topics about the same device/problem.

So make sub forums. For example the fibaro app. Then having sub forums for the motion sensor, door sensor ect.

Second: when ading a new discussion by the members that there is first a note with the rules and some helpfull information that they know where to look or to post a new disscusion. As we all know nobody reads the "welcome to the forum topic" and with that its a big mess and you cant often find the needed info.

3: not what everyone wants but, if a member over en over doesnt care about the rules, even after several notes from other members and for sure from a moderator... take action with the member. We al know there are a few members having lack about rules and start for every singel problem a new discussion.
  • Thanks for the above input, i added them to the startpost with some examples provided. If i misstated something @Oy1974 / @KvM then correct me otherwise your ideas are noted :) 
  • KvM said:
    What I miss in the forum ( and I find very usefull in other forums) is the option to directly go to the latest reply in a topic from the main page.

Can u explain why u think this is usefull?
  • jovinkjovink Member
    a direct link from App Store to the forum. That way it’s easy to find the right topic. 
  • jovink said:
    a direct link from App Store to the forum. That way it’s easy to find the right topic. 
    Alr there if the developer puts it in.
  • I think it is generaly a bad idea to have sub forums or even more sub forums. This way it will be a pain to find the information that you need. Another aproach would be to close the topic after x replies ( lets say 2000 ?) and start a second topic about the same app where a link can be found to the first topic. Also in that second topic the most frequent questions are added to the start post so people can see directly what the most frequent issues/questions are. This needs lots of moderation but if done correctly it would benefit the forum alot. 

Also there are some great holes in the support pages. For instance I needed some information about the usage of tags but only the basics are specified. How tags can be created (and that you need to run the flow first) isn't available in the support pages. So I think someone should take a look and describe everything there is need to know in some greater detail than currently available.

Another idea would be to let someone/people search accros the forum for the most frequent questions currently and let those be added to the support page. 
  • GeurtDijkerGeurtDijker Moderator, Backer - Geek Edition
    jovink said:
    Alr there if the developer puts it in.
    Correct, but Athom explicit didn't want it at the time of the introduction on their apps as they don't monitor the Forum for Issues.

So at the moment not for Athom, although I would like it to have the Forum Links it on Official Apps too.
    ( Community Help => Forum,  Issues => Github )
  • Well, I think you should remove the suggestions and ideas section and the bugs section. Cause every poor soul who posts anything in there gets trolled. They somehow get a crazy idea that its ok post their viewpoints in those forums and get flamed for doing so.

DISCLAIMER: Of course, this is just my opinion which, apparently, doesn't matter how I express it or what it is.
  • lubbertkramerlubbertkramer Moderator
    edited March 20
    Thanks again for the input, i updated the startpost

Well, I think you should remove the suggestions and ideas section and the bugs section. Cause every poor soul who posts anything in there gets trolled. They somehow get a crazy idea that its ok post their viewpoints in those forums and get flamed for doing so.

DISCLAIMER: Of course, this is just my opinion which, apparently, doesn't matter how I express it or what it is.
    Where do you want to put ideas/suggestion, at github then because it's directly connected to Athom just like issues? 
  • konradwalshkonradwalsh Member
    edited March 20

Where do you want to put ideas/suggestion, at github then because it's directly connected to Athom just like issues? 
    Definitely
    And have a hard link at the top of the page that just brings the user there and then close the sub forum for that topic

I think the challenge you face is that sometimes we want to chat it over with users first before going to github. Sometimes you think you have a great idea and someone says why it cannot work... then you've just saved the developers time telling you the same
  • KvMKvM Member
    edited March 21
    KvM said:

Because when I'm browsing the forum and looking in a (especially a larger) topic, it can be quite usefull to start from the end of the discussion where the conclusion often is and browse back a bit. Furthermore you can just see the latest few reply's in a topic you are participating / interested in. 

Off course I do not now if everybody uses this, but it is a simple feature that other forums (phpbb for example) have implemented as a standard.

@lubbertkramer I don't mean to open the last post from a topic as a standard, just the option to browse there directly from the main forum page. 

If the text "most recent" in the forum overview would be clickable then it is solved already
  • DaneeDeKruyffDaneeDeKruyff Backer - Super Early Bird
    KvM said:
    KvM said:

Because when I'm browsing the forum and looking in a (especially a larger) topic, it can be quite usefull to start from the end of the discussion where the conclusion often is and browse back a bit. Furthermore you can just see the latest few reply's in a topic you are participating / interested in. 

Off course I do not now if everybody uses this, but it is a simple feature that other forums (phpbb for example) have implemented as a standard.

@lubbertkramer I don't mean to open the last post from a topic as a standard, just the option to browse there directly from the main forum page. 

If the text "most recent" in the forum overview would be clickable then it is solved already
    For me it is working as you describe it. If I click on a thread title on the main page I'm taken to the first unread message and it is even intelligent enough to take me to some previously read messages if I haven't visited that thread for a long time.
    When I'm in the Recent Discussions overview it works exactly the same.
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding you but as I see it the current workings is what you're asking for.
  • And that’s why I asked ^^
  • bthavebthave Member
    I am a Newbee in regards to Homey (just started in March 2018), but the Search should return first of all just Forum-internal hits. I might be doing something wrong, but I mostly get standard Web-results, where I specifically want to know what forum-people have said about my search keywords.
    Better yet: any specification on the hits whether they are Forum-internal or external and be able to filter by these would make it perfect!
  • bvdbosbvdbos Moderator, Backer - Geek Edition
    I don't understand? I does after some ads?
  • PhaetonPhaeton Backer - Geek Edition
    The ads might be confusing  :)

I'd say next to the above; 
    * Start a beginners/newby section where you can find tutorials but where there is room for beginners questions
    * Keep the dutch section 
    * better search:
    ** Search within subforum
    ** Search on date
  • Support pages as one PDF file download would be welcome. Then I have to download just one file and can read it offline if I want to.
  • I still think this FAQ might help some people to get started. It's probably a bit outdated so should be updated. But something in this trend should get a lot of people started.

https://forum.athom.com/discussion/2128/forum-suggestion-faq-topic
  • bvdbosbvdbos Moderator, Backer - Geek Edition
    Personally I'd rather see a wiki where everyone can add working flows, where device-specific information can be added etc etc.
  • PhaetonPhaeton Backer - Geek Edition
    Thats a good idea! 
  • quakerixquakerix Member
    edited March 22
    I rather see a wiki as well. The forum topics are quickly outdated due to Homey updates and information is not maintained.

this makes it hard to actually find actual information.

a forum is to discuss, a wiki is to store information. How to’s, guides etc . All wiki stuff
  • I still think this FAQ might help some people to get started. It's probably a bit outdated so should be updated. But something in this trend should get a lot of people started.

https://forum.athom.com/discussion/2128/forum-suggestion-faq-topic
    bvdbos said:
    Personally I'd rather see a wiki where everyone can add working flows, where device-specific information can be added etc etc.
    Phaeton said:
    Thats a good idea! 
    quakerix said:
    I rather see a wiki as well. The forum topics are quickly outdated due to Homey updates and information is not maintained.

this makes it hard to actually find actual information.

a forum is to discuss, a wiki is to store information. How to’s, guides etc . All wiki stuff
    Biggest problem who is going to keep that information updated, this is a community forum so a user already could step-up and update the information but that's not really happening. 

Flow sharing / database is announced as to come with Homey 2.0 (software) together with the mobile app
  • KvMKvM Member
    KvM said:
    KvM said:

For me it is working as you describe it. If I click on a thread title on the main page I'm taken to the first unread message and it is even intelligent enough to take me to some previously read messages if I haven't visited that thread for a long time.
    When I'm in the Recent Discussions overview it works exactly the same.
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding you but as I see it the current workings is what you're asking for.
    I know that the forum takes me to the last unread topic when I open a topic. Quite usefull indeed (was a bit confusing in the beginning).

But sometimes it's just nice to directly skip to the end of a topic you have not read anything in yet. Especially the real big topics.
  • I would prefer to have a Section with Flow Topics categorized to there function. 
    We currently have a topic ¨[POSITIVE] Flows that work!¨ which consist of many flows for different devices or solutions.  If i want to search the forum for a specific flow its really hard to do so many splintered topics. 

So if i want to search for a doorbel flow: I would like to see a topic only related to flows of community members that shared their WORKING Doorbel flows.

So these flows can be adapted and changed by other members and later on an improved flow is shared in the same topic.  

For another topics for example:
    • Doorbel
    • ALARM triggers
    • Motion detection,
    • Energy saving options
    • Curtains
    • Door/window Sensors
    • Chromecast
    • Lamps ambiance 
    • Geolocation
    • Flows using Timers or triggers....etc

• Oy1974Oy1974 Member
    As i stated some points before in this topic, i have another one wich i notice just a few minutes ago.... but is happend for a long time  already.

I see a lot of topics wich has the label solved... i get the point. BUT the topic is stil open and new problems and questions are added. So the label isnt correct anymore, at least it giving people the wrong picture of a topic.

SO dont use the SOLVED label anymore, or closed the topic. How its now its not correct.

• JesperJesper Backer - Geek Edition
    I would also like the option to search for something within a topic. This is possible in the tweakers.net forum.

For example: I want to search inside the Homeydash topic if somebody has already mentioned anything about LIFX. Now I need to read the entire topic but it would be way easier if you could just enter LIFX in the search field of that topic and that you than only see the messages that contain LIFX within that topic.
  • k1sk1s Member
    Ability to unsubscribe specific threads.  If there's a way to do that I have found it.  
  • RobinVanKekemRobinVanKekem Backer - Homey
    k1s said:
    Ability to unsubscribe specific threads.  If there's a way to do that I have found it.  
    There is a little orange star above.
    Click it to unsubscribe.
This discussion has been closed.