Welcome to the Athom Community Forum! This is a place to share ideas, ask for help and discuss about Homey in general.

Please read Welcome to the forum to get started.
Ask your Homey-related questions in this category. You can also go to athom.com/support to get support from Athom.

Homey as a home alarm controller

Hi there Homey users, 

Homey seems to me the perfect controller, at least when I look at the specs. I'm deciding what gear to buy. I wonder if there is anybody who has experience with Homey as controller for your alarm devices. I know there are some apps from existing alarm systems (which also are able to operate as stand alone and in that case, if you connect it to Homey, Homey communicates with the controller of the alarm system), though the developers of Homey suggest you can also link the sensors directly to Homey, and let Homey do the job as a controller. 
Thanks, 
Alexander

Comments

• What are your requirements to define homey as a alarm controller? Something like when movement detected and person x not at home send push notification to user(s) and switch on a light to scare people? 

If that is one of your business cases you could buy some z-wave motion detectors (for instance the ZP3102 from zipato) and create a flow similar to this one:

• quakerixquakerix Member
    I'm currently building an Alarm system with the Homey.

The problem is not turning on the alarm; that's easy, i'm using SMART presence app and once everyone has left the house, its enabled. 

The problem is not letting the alarm go off when motion is detected. I have multiple sensors, door-window sensors and motion detection. Like the example flow from @jjtbsomhorst, you can easily have the alarm go off. I also have a sirene btw.

The problem/challenge is turning the alarm off. 

If you use SMART presence, which is based on Wifi signal of your mobile phone, you are likely not to connect quick enough to use an arrival flow to turn off the alarm. I'm currently doing tests, but in about 20% of an arrival, a sensor is 'hit' because the alarm was still turned on. 

So I'm currently building in delays/countdowns. But you want the countdown to be as low as possible. If the thief is already in the house.. I don't want to give him 10 seconds before the alarm goes off. 

My current thought is to have a physical way to disable the alarm in my hallway. Maybe a cheap button, maybe a built in iPad with finger print. And i'll do a countdown and people will have 5 seconds to either connect to the Wifi or use the button to turn off the alarm. 

If anyone has any suggestions. Let me know.
  • Well I think that this is a general issue with alarms. Take for instance an alarm in a office building. When you enter the building and the alarm is on this alarm is triggered. Normally the user has x seconds to turn it off before a message is send to some sort of security agency.
  • JasperBJasperB Member
    Maybe get a zwave keypad? normal alarms have one most of the time as well (to arm or disarm).
    And make a flow sequence like this:
    Flow 1:
    If alarm is on AND movement detected THEN set variable "movement", and with a timer of x (like 1 minute) enable flow 2

Flow 2:
    If alarm is on AND variable is "movement" THEN "send message that alarm went off"

Then you have x time to disarm the alarm
    JasperB said:
    Maybe get a zwave keypad? normal alarms have one most of the time as well (to arm or disarm).
    And make a flow sequence like this:
    Flow 1:
    If alarm is on AND movement detected THEN set variable "movement", and with a timer of x (like 1 minute) enable flow 2

Flow 2:
    If alarm is on AND variable is "movement" THEN "send message that alarm went off"

Then you have x time to disarm the alarm
    Do you know any keypad that's supported by Homey?

I only know this thing: https://apps.athom.com/app/hk.com.remotec
  • JasperBJasperB Member
    edited June 20
    @quakerix
    Not sure but I expect this 1 would work.
    Seems it works through the Fibaro binairy sensor which is supported by Homey through the fibaro app
    JasperB said:
    @quakerix
    Not sure but I expect this 1 would work.
    Seems it works through the Fibaro binairy sensor which is supported by Homey through the fibaro app
    Pretty cool!

I would only need to fill in the code or take out the RFID chip in about 10% of the cases. Only when my mobile phone did not yet connect with Homey. I don't think i'll put this on the outside of my house. So i'm not sure what the doorbell button does :) 

I wonder i can make a trigger for that button as well.