This is the forum archive of Homey. For more information about Homey, visit the Official Homey website.

The Homey Community has been moved to https://community.athom.com.

This forum is now read-only for archive purposes.
Closed

Diagnotics

It would be nice to have a software diagnostic to check if there is a hardware failure. This way you could be sure if homey is not working right it's the software to be blamed.

Comments

• At Factory the use a diagnostic tool to check if the boxed homey is working properly.
    So the tool exists, but i don't think the will release it to the public.
  • I guess when the software is not working ok, you'll have to be sure it's not a hardware malfunction.
    I have to know as a consumer that my product is working properly.

• There's quite some different parts in Homey. "The software is not working" is a general description which isn't really helpful ;) Also for "the hardware", is it 433 (KaKu, Somfy etc) which is not working, Z-wave, IR, web-interface ???
  • There a several device's such as smart-tv's with hardware diagnotics. This is a simple checksum returned back to the user.
  • posthok said:
    I guess when the software is not working ok, you'll have to be sure it's not a hardware malfunction.
    I have to know as a consumer that my product is working properly.

Because of the factory tests you can/may assume that all is working.
    If you have doubts, contact Athom at support@athom.com :wink: 

• I'm not that "lucky" i'll have to wait till the 18th if april to get my homey. It was only a suggestion for Athom.
    It would bring down the number of complaint's to Athom if this is implemented. If you're 100% sure it's software related you don't have to bother contacting Athom.

• OK! 
    Testing could only be done if you what you're testing and what to expect and doing this right in non lab conditions is very(!) hard.
  • If you use commandline-access I think you can get a list of processes so you can see if a specific app consumes too much memory or resources...
  • @BasVanDenBosch ;
    We're talking about hardware failure, what does that have to do with apps and memory?
  • Thought we were talking about both software and hardware failures. Apart from that these influence each other a lot, if 433 is down I can imagine a hugh list of commands is piling up and thus consuming memory. Would be nice to have to way to get a status for the different modules where Homey queries whether a specific driver responds as requested. This way Homey could decide if it has to restart the Z-wave module...
  • EmileEmile Administrator, Athom
    edited April 2016
    Unfortunately there's no good way to check if Homey's hardware is working without another Homey. You can be pretty sure that the hardware is in good order, as we run these checks in the factory.
  • posthokposthok Member
    edited April 2016
    Ok thanks Emile. This discussion can be closed.
  • +1 @ @Emile ;
This discussion has been closed.